Likes Likes:  4,766
Page 103 of 162 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1614

Thread: Traveling Watch

The train to Malmö left at 6:40 Monday morning. After quite some delays and an unexpected train switch (electrical error) me and Bob reached Malmö.

(Bob is on the wrist in all shots, but for some it was just too cold or snowy to keep removing gloves and rolling up coat sleeves)

First we have the Central station.

After a day in the office we took a walk around the area known as the West harbour. Lots of new developments and plenty of offices. Not the most exciting place to see but it is home to Malmös most (only) famous landmark.

Turning Torso

A cool light installation next to the building

The second most famous landmark is actually quite a bit outside of the city so we had to make do with watching a photo of it.

The Öresund Bridge connects Malmö and Copenhagen, Denmark.

The bridge is 7,845 metres (25,738 ft) and the longest combined rail and road bridge in Europe. It was completed in 2000 and an estimate of 50000 people every day use it to cross the Öresund strait.

The cold and dark (-8C) led us to cut the walk short. We picked up some provisions at the local super market where we were greeted by this:

The BOB brand is a Swedish staple. A big part of my childhood is definitely flavoured by BOB's Strawberry lemonade. The name started as an abbreviation for Billigt och Bra. Cheap and good. A perfect way to describe the term Affordable that we in the WIS-community use as well.

Also very Swedish is the Systembolaget

This is the government owned liquor store. It is the only retail store allowed to sell alcoholic beverages that contain more than 3.5% alcohol by volume.

Day 2 we went around the more central parts of Malmö.

We started with a bit of culture and stopped by the public library. This building exemplifies a lot about Malmö. The mix of old and new.
    Front:

side entrance:

Inside:

A lot of the old architecure is still visible and they've built new structures next to the old for quite interesting juxtapostions at times.

The big shopping street through Malmö. Old building combined with neon lights:

We did some window shopping

Malmö had even put together a parade for us:

We then reached Stortorget (The big square)

King Karl X Gustav is keeping watch. He was king of Sweden between 1654 and hos death in 1660. He was one of our warrior kings expending the Swedish territories to Denmark, Poland and The baltic to name a few

The Pharmacy Lejonet (The Lion) built 1896, but a pharmacy has been there since the 16th century

Next to it is the Town Hall built in the 1540's . The current facade is from 1860.

As you can see the weather took a turn for the worse and we took cover in a not so traditional Swedish restaurant where we fixed a small springbar issue.

The weather improved and we checked out the Small square.

Not much action now but bustling with activity in spring and summer with restaurant and bars with lots of outdoor seating.

On our way back to the hotel we passed the Maritime college (another example of modern additions to old buildings)

Malmö Consert hall

Has I-B been in Malmö?

Back at the hotel we needed something to eat.

Excellent pictorial Mag!

i enjoy it so much... thank you very much buddy..

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Beautiful shots, Magnus. About 100 km north of me, in Milwaukee, we have a spectacular Calatrava design, the Milwaukee Museum of Art. Built like a huge, beautiful, winged sailing ship hovering on the shore of Lake Michigan:

Name:  jeffmillies-milwaukeeartmuseum.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  72.0 KBName:  mamlake.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  105.2 KB

P.S. I may actually be (sort of) passing by your neck of the woods later this year--will be in Lidköping in early October...

6. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Beautiful shots, Magnus. About 100 km north of me, in Milwaukee, we have a spectacular Calatrava design, the Milwaukee Museum of Art. Built like a huge, beautiful, winged sailing ship hovering on the shore of Lake Michigan:

Name:  jeffmillies-milwaukeeartmuseum.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  72.0 KB

P.S. I may actually be (sort of) passing by your neck of the woods later this year--will be in Lidköping in early October...
    thanks!

Very cool design. Lidköping is actually under 2h away. Only been once, but a nice little town just on the edge of Vänern (our biggest lake)

8. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Lovely tour of Malmö, Magnus. Thank you for sharing these pictures and descriptions of a beautiful city. And thanks for showing Bob the sights!

10. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Excellent pictorial Mag!

i enjoy it so much... thank you very much buddy..
    thanks Iyonk. Was fun to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Lovely tour of Malmö, Magnus. Thank you for sharing these pictures and descriptions of a beautiful city. And thanks for showing Bob the sights!
    Thanks Jane. Interesting how much you actually see when doing this type of thing. I've walked around Malmö a few times now, since I've been there 3-4 days a week last month or so, but found many things this time I hadn't noticed before.

12. Likes iyonk, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Great stuff - I've always liked the sound of Malmö and now I like the look of it too.

14. Likes meijlinder, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Thanks for the fantastic history and geography lesson Magnus, I'm sure Bob has enjoyed his trip too.
    I've watched The Bridge avidly and would love to visit Malmo and cross the Oresund Bridge to Copenhagen. Maybe one day...
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

16. Likes meijlinder, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    Thanks for the fantastic history and geography lesson Magnus, I'm sure Bob has enjoyed his trip too.
    I've watched The Bridge avidly and would love to visit Malmo and cross the Oresund Bridge to Copenhagen. Maybe one day...
    Had I have had the time I would have gone to Copenhagen as well. Just love the city. Were we ever to move, Copenhagen would be top of the list.

18. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post