Likes Likes:  4,766
Page 130 of 162 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1614

Thread: Traveling Watch

Who wants Bob next (preferably in USA)

I'm having trouble finding a next home for Bob. Going down the list isn't working very well - so..here's an open call. If you are on the list, preferably in the US, and would like to host Bob next - please raise your hand.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a next home for Bob. Going down the list isn't working very well - so..here's an open call. If you are on the list, preferably in the US, and would like to host Bob next - please raise your hand.
    Feel free to send it my way here in North Carolina. Unfortunately I don't have any special trips or other things planned soon, but the NC State Fair is coming up, and that would be full of crazy photo ops. I hope Bob likes fried food:

Scotch Creme Egg

Cadbury creme egg, coated in peanut butter and jam, blast frozen then coated in Cocoa pops and smoked sea salt. Deep fried until crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Feel free to send it my way here in North Carolina. Unfortunately I don't have any special trips or other things planned soon, but the NC State Fair is coming up, and that would be full of crazy photo ops. I hope Bob likes fried food:

Scotch Creme Egg

Cadbury creme egg, coated in peanut butter and jam, blast frozen then coated in Cocoa pops and smoked sea salt. Deep fried until crisp.

I almost had a coronary reading that 😂

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. Likes OTGabe, watchdaddy1, popoki nui liked this post
    Sold. PM being sent.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

6. Likes OTGabe, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post

Struth !.... and I thought the deep-fried Mars bar was unhealthy. .... not to mention revolting.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes OTGabe, watchdaddy1 liked this post

Bob in Birmingham

Bob has left the building. About time for me to post some pictures.

In this installment, a brief tour of Birmingham, AL.

Well...I seem to have hit some sort of limit - so this is part 1.

First - Bob walking out my front door, in beautiful Mountain Brook, AL

Name:  BobLeavesHome.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  102.6 KB

On my commuting route is this overlook on Red Mountain, where we find this artillery piece standing guard.

Name:  BobDefendsBHM.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  BobAndSilverArtillery.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  108.9 KB

Taking a short detour, we find "Vulcan". Largest free-standing cast iron statue.

Name:  BobAndVulcan.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  69.6 KB

Nearby, a view of the Birmingham skyline:
    Name:  BobAndBHMSkyline.jpg
Size:  68.0 KB

A closer view of Vulcan. Vulcan is wearing only an apron. When first installed, there were no significant residences on the other side of Red Mountain. And then they built Homewood - whose residents were not pleased with their view of the statue. It was re-habbed awhile ago, and when re-installed, Vulcan was rotated slightly to avoid presenting Homewood with a full moon every night.

Note the Spear in Vulcan's hand. Over the years, it was modified several times. Most recently, it had a garish red/green light indicating the absence/presence of recent highway deaths. In the rehab, it was restored to it's original appearance.

Name:  BobAndVulcanFromBehind.jpg
Size:  59.5 KB

Bartow Arena, on the campus of UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham), along with "Blaze", the school mascot. Los Angeles basketball fans will recall Gene Bartow as the BB coach who took over from some legend who coached there once.

Name:  BobAtBartow.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  64.9 KB

The brand new Hill Student center. Mostly food court.

Name:  BobAtHillStudentCenter.jpg
Size:  85.6 KB

Regions Field - a greate little AA ballpark. Conveniently located 4 blocks from my office. I have season seats in the 3rd row, behind home plate.

Name:  BobAtRegionsField.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

Across the street from the ballpark, the Good People Brewing Company, whose motto is "legally brewed since 2008".
    For some reason, a best seller at the ball park is their IPA - it's a perilous journey crossing the street.

Name:  BobAtGoodPeopleBrewery.jpg

More to come...

Bob in Birmingham - part II

Bob's adventures in Birmingham, AL continue...

Back to Region Field

Name:  BobAtRegionsField2.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  68.4 KB

Across the street from the ballpark is a lovely urban park. Very non-traditional. I could spend a week photographing there, but Bob was happy with one view of the pond, the park, and a bit of the Birmingham skyline.

Name:  BobAtRRPark.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  71.8 KB

Bob's a baseball fan. Here we are, back at Region Field, admiring the brand new tribute to Willie "Say Hey" Mays - who did indeed play in Birmingham, but not at this part. He played at Rickman Field, which still stands and is still used.

Name:  BobAndWillieMays.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  87.9 KB

One more view of Vulcan, up close and personal.

Name:  BobAndVulcanFromInFront.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  49.8 KB

On our way to Tokyo. Bob flies in Comfort+ seating. He can't afford Delta One.

Name:  BobFliesInComfort.jpg
Size:  47.3 KB

Next up - a few images from Tokyo.

Bob in Tokyo

Once again - in two parts.

We last saw Bob boarding in the Sky Priority land at BHM.

Here, Bob enjoys a brief layover in the DTW Delta SkyClub

Name:  BobInDTWSkyClub.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  59.7 KB

Many hours later, we are in the air over Russia (didn't Gary Powers run into difficulty here?). Still more hours before arrival
    Name:  BobOverRussia.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  50.7 KB

At last, in the hotel. Weather was not the best. And...all concerned were a bit tired and jet lagged. A view from the hotel is all we can manage on our first day in Tokyo.

Name:  BobViewFromTokyoHotel.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB

The sign is self-explanatory

Name:  BobWithSignAtGarden.jpg
Size:  68.9 KB

We are in an ancient garden - once the domain of the Shogun. Interesting transpositions of old and new. Here, we see a teahouse (recently used for international diplomatic negotiations), with downtown Tokyo looming nearby

Name:  BobTeahouseTokyoSkyline.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB

Another view from the garden
    Name:  BobMoatTokyoSkyline.jpg
Size:  94.0 KB

And finally, a view of an open green area in the garden, enjoying the view of the skyline, and our traveling companion (my wife)

Name:  BobAndTouristTokyoGarden.jpg
Views: 105

Bob takes a boat tour

Name:  BobTakesTokyoBoatTour.jpg
Size:  73.6 KB

Bob is mystified by modern Tokyo architecture

Name:  BobPuzzlesOverTokyoArchitecture.jpg

A closer view. The tour guide offered several interpretations of the object on the right - including one she attributed to small children, but which she found herself unable to say out loud to a boatload of tourists.

Name:  BobPuzzlesOverTokyoArchitecture2.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

One more post coming, with the remainder of the Tokyo tour.

Bob in Tokyo, part II

Continuing our tour of Tokyo (Alas, Bob spent many days sitting in sessions at an Ophthalmology conference - no pictures necessary)

After the boat tour, we visited a few major shopping areas. One in particular was particularly interesting. Here we are on a random Tokyo street corner:

Name:  BobOnTokyoStreetCorner.jpg

Bob visits an ancient gate (now in it's n-th re-incarnation after many fires and other calamities). It leads directly to a row of shopping stalls - a sort of gauntlet the tourist must run before arriving at the big Temple at the other end.

Name:  BobAtTokyoGate.jpg
Size:  73.4 KB

We have arrived at the Temple. Biggest and most popular Buddhist temple in Tokyo. According to our tour guide, Japanese are "religion flexible", ranging from "Christmas Christians" to "Funeral Buddhists" to "Happy Events Shinto" as the occasion demands. This Temple, while nominally Buddhist, had several Shinto trappings at the periphery.

Name:  BobAtTemple.jpg
Size:  82.0 KB

On a late evening walk, Bob walked through a tunnel underneath a major road - lined with many posters. Not unlike what you'll find in the Paris Metro. Here's sample:

Name:  BobAndPoster.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Two views of the Tokyo Municipal Building (I think that's right) - at night. Bob doesn't photograph well in the dark, but he was there with us.Name:  TokyoMunicipalBuildingAtNight.jpg
Size:  79.8 KB

These are the towers visible from our hotel room.

Name:  TokyoMunicipalBuildingTowersAtNight.jpg
Size:  100.8 KB

And then, too soon, it's time to check in at NRT for the flight home. All praise to the Tokyo airport for an efficient and painless check-in procedure. In no time at all we were through security, relaxing in the SkyClub...ready for the 13 hour flight to ATL (and then the 22 min flight to BHM)

Sayonara!

Name:  BobChecksInAtNRT.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

Great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Well...I seem to have hit some sort of limit - so this is part 1.
    Yes, I discovered that limit, too; when I tried to post the first batch of Bob's tour of Bristol.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.