Likes Likes:  2,854

Thread: Today I want one of these

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    I would throw the GS away but first PM me in advance with the exact coordinates of where I'm throwing it away so absolutely hypothetical cross-Atlantic flight can be taken. You're welcome.
    Is that an offer to purchase the GS?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    What I would do is so different from what you would do that it’s no help at all.

I would lose the Zenith and the microbrands and buy a Tudor Ranger. Or maybe keep one microbrand to cover dress watch duties, if you think the Grand Seiko isn't right for that. In my opinion it is, but I’m generally quite free with categories (and doesn’t the ‘anywhere’ in GADA mean anywhere?).

I don’t dislike microbrands (I like my Farer), but the fact that we tend to group them together as ‘other’ might be instructive. They’re easy to acquire, easy to like, but if I have more than one or two they feel like clutter. The Zenith is nice, but I would be prepared to sacrifice it for a new ‘headline’ watch.

A Tudor Ranger isn’t a headline act, I realise that. I currently have a shortlist for buying a headline watch and wouldn’t have put the Ranger on the list if I didn’t already have one. I do have the Explorer on my list, but I think it will ultimately lose out to something else because I have the Ranger, and no wish to lose it. The Explorer has risen so far into the luxury orbit that the Ranger is almost more of an Explorer than the Explorer. The bigger Explorers also seem to have come adrift from the 1950s / 1960s vibe that I like them for. In short, I’d be doing something quite different, and not with the intention of acquiring a 40mm Explorer.

There you are, you see, no help at all.
    You are correct, thank you for not helping.

The Tudor is for sure up, but if a second one had to be sacrificed, what's the consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Is that an offer to purchase the GS?
    To rescue.

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post