Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WatchWorld Dallas GTG 4.0 on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Exclamation WatchWorld Dallas GTG 4.0 on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Thanks to Geoff for approving this post. Some of you may be familiar with me and the Dallas GTG (since dubbed WatchWorld Dallas) that I started a little over a year ago and others may not but I'll give a little history. I first organized a GTG in October 2013. We held it at The Flying Saucer in Addison, TX with 8 attendees and a ton of watches. With the success I booked half of the back room for the second GTG that was held in March. I couldn't book the entire back room since you have to guarantee so much money is spent but we still managed to take it over and fill it with 18 people. With the second GTG I also had loaner watches from Lew & Huey, Aevig and Melbourne Watch Co for people to check out. Some were prototypes and others production models but all were watches that you won't normally run into in the wild.

After the second GTG I was contacted by Timeless Luxury Watches in Frisco, TX about holding it in their store. With the support of the owners (Dan and Anna) we had over 25 people attend our third GTG in August. In addition to more loaner watches sent to me from Magrette and Tempest, we also had multiple strap makers donate straps and the store gave away a Damasko and several other wonderful items that are a bit anticlimactic after I mention the Damasko.

Now our fourth GTG will again be held at Timeless Luxury Watches on February 28, 2015. I expect another huge increase in attendance. Still months out I've seen well over a dozen people committing to attend including one who is driving from Oklahoma and another flying out from New Mexico. Additionally I have 4 custom made straps being sent by Clover Straps to give away. As far as loaners from micro brands I have commitments from Helson, G. Gerlach and Lew & Huey with others possibly to come. I also have been in contact with the North American rep for Bremont who will be flying in for the GTG to talk about the brand and possibly show off some very limited pieces.

Please reply here or PM me if you plan to attend so I can get an idea of attendance.

You can also check out my article on Worn & Wound and the blog at the following links. I hope to see many of you there!

http://watchgtg.wordpress.com/

http://wornandwound.com/2014/09/18/watchworld-dallas/

With about 2-1/2 month to go until the 4th WWD event it's time to start making your intentions known. Without doing a formal count of confirmations so far I'd say we're in the neighborhood of 20 people confirmed so far. We're definitely on track to make this event bigger and better than the last but we can only do that if you attend. Please start confirming to me if you plan to be there.

Remember that we already have participation from at least 4 or 5 watch companies and a strap maker confirmed so far so you don't want to miss this one. PM me or reply to this thread to let me know. I know some people are on multiple forums so please only reply in 1 method so I don't count you twice.

After a quick tally I have these people on the list (all from WUS right now but some may be on here as well). not bad with over 2 months to go. There's plenty of room at the GTG and I'd love to see the attendance from last time double to 50. Spread the word and bring friends or family who might be aspiring WIS. Let me know if you need to be added.

CONFIRMED:
    mike120
    jelliottz
    sirgilbert357
    Iliyan
    tylehman
    OvrSteer
    KrisOK
    Jollytron
    wristclock
    tomead
    SaoDavi
    napel
    jayabharath
    drdavis62 (+1)
    Texas Parrothead
    Carl (+1 or 2) - Blog Contact

TENTATIVE:
    jon_huskisson
    MZhammer

Updated:

CONFIRMED:
    mike120
    jelliottz
    sirgilbert357
    Iliyan
    tylehman
    OvrSteer
    KrisOK
    Jollytron
    wristclock
    tomead
    SaoDavi
    napel
    jayabharath
    drdavis62 (+1)
    Texas Parrothead
    Fullers1845

TENTATIVE:
    jon_huskisson
    MZhammer

I hope everyone's holidays were great! Here's a post holiday update of attendance. I'll be working towards more news after the new year. Note, these are almost entirely WUS usernames so names may vary somewhat.

CONFIRMED:
    mike120
    jelliottz
    sirgilbert357
    Iliyan
    tylehman
    OvrSteer
    KrisOK
    Jollytron
    wristclock
    tomead
    SaoDavi
    napel
    jayabharath
    drdavis62 (+1)
    Texas Parrothead
    Fullers1845
    opticsguy

TENTATIVE:
    jon_huskisson
    MZhammer
    watchcrank

6. Likes Mediocre liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Tentative, we are planning to come to town to catch a Stars game. I will have to see if there are any around that time.

8. Likes SteamJ liked this post
    One last update to attendance for the year.

CONFIRMED:
    mike120
    jelliottz
    sirgilbert357
    Iliyan
    tylehman
    OvrSteer
    KrisOK
    Jollytron
    wristclock
    tomead
    SaoDavi
    napel
    jayabharath
    drdavis62 (+1)
    Texas Parrothead
    Fullers1845
    opticsguy
    arutlosjr11
    hikeNbike (WF)
    Wyatt - Blog Contact

TENTATIVE:
    jon_huskisson
    MZhammer
    watchcrank
    Mediocre

Additionally, to recap where we stand with brand representation:

Bremont - NA rep will be attending personally.
    G. Gerlach - Sending watches for display and possibly a giveaway.
    Lew & Huey - Sending watches for display.
    Helson - Sending a watch for display.
    River Watch Co - Sending a prototype watch for display (tentative).
    StuckX - Sending a prototype watch for display (tentative).
    Aquadive - Represented by AD forum moderator arutlosjr11 with 3 watches for display.
    Clover Straps - Sending 4 custom straps for a giveaway.

There is also the chance of another major brand attending but this is very tentative at this point and I'll give more details if it works out.

Very exciting so far and I hope to have more to share as we get closer. Speaking of which we only have 2 months until the event so keep getting in your RSVP's so we can have an approximate head count.

As the final update for 2014 I want to wish everyone a safe and happy New Year and see you all in 2015!

We're getting close. Only about 6 weeks until the big day. Attendance is looking absolutely incredible at this point. We're going to pack the store so keep confirming to me if you intend to be there and haven't already. Here's where we stand as of today.

CONFIRMED:
    mike120
    jelliottz
    sirgilbert357
    Iliyan
    tylehman (+1)
    OvrSteer
    KrisOK
    Jollytron
    wristclock
    tomead
    SaoDavi
    napel
    jayabharath
    drdavis62 (+1)
    Texas Parrothead
    Carl (+1 or 2) – Blog Contact
    Fullers1845
    opticsguy
    arutlosjr11
    hikeNbike (WF)
    Wyatt – Blog Contact
    Chris - Blog Contact
    jon_huskisson
    RegularStormy (+1)
    aforrister
    CitizenM

TENTATIVE:
    MZhammer
    watchcrank

I figure we should top 30 this time. Not bad for a small event that began only a year and a half ago with 8 people sitting around a table in a pub.

Additionally, to recap where we stand with brand representation:

Bremont – NA rep will be attending personally.
    G. Gerlach – Sending the new ORP Orzel 85A.
    Lew & Huey – Sending watches for display.
    Melbourne Watch Co - Sending watches for display (tentative).
    Helson – Sending a watch for display (tentative).
    River Watch Co – Sending a prototype watch for display (tentative).
    StuckX – Sending a prototype watch for display (tentative).
    Aquadive – Represented by AD forum moderator arutlosjr11 with 3 watches for display.
    Clover Straps – Sending 4 custom straps for a giveaway.

I'm very happy with how things are progressing. I guarantee that this will be an event to remember for everyone. As always I want to thank our gracious host, Timeless Luxury Watches, for having us and supplying drinks and giveaways.

With it so close I thought it best to pass along some of what I consider important notes regarding GTG safety and etiquette.
    1. I want to strongly state that you, and only you, are responsible for your watches. Neither Timeless Luxury Watches (the venue), myself or anyone else there is responsible for watching or guarding your watches so please be sure to keep track of where you and they are.

2. See point #1. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep track of your watches. We had a great turnout last time and this GTG is shaping up to be even larger so it can be easy to lose track. You are, of course, among fellow WIS and friends so it's extremely unlikely that anything is going to walk off but still be aware of where your watches end up so you can pack them safely away at the end of the evening.

3. Be respectful of other people's watches and the brand samples. Treat every watch you handle as if it was your own and be sure that the owner is OK with you handling specific pieces.

4. Have fun! This is all about sharing our love of watches and it should be a great experience.

Welcome Mark Carson Individual Design and Rpaige to WatchWorld Dallas!

Mark contacted me yesterday regarding showing off his watches at WWD and I, of course, accepted the generous offer. His watches have a very unique design using ETA movements and one of the more interesting case shapes I’ve seen. They’re a welcome addition to the GTG.

Additionally, thanks to Mark as well, we’ll be seeing a watch from Rpaige as well. More than likely it will be one from his new DuoFace line. Using vintage pocket watch movements, Richard creates amazing pieces and the new DuoFace line is truly a unique piece since the watch is reversible to wear with the dial or movement displayed.

Please be sure to check out their watches and join me in welcoming them to WWD!

You'd think I've exhausted all of the news with only a month to go but, no, I have not. I talked to Roland Murphy today and RGM will be sending out a watch for people to check out at the GTG. I've updated the blog with details but, as of right now, we should easily cross 40 attendees and here's the updated list of brand participation.

G. Gerlach – New ORP Orzel 85A en route.
    Lew & Huey – Sending watches for display.
    Melbourne Watch Co – Sending watches for display (tentative).
    Helson – Sent a Skin Diver for display.
    Mark Carson Individual Design – Sending 3 watches for display.
    RGM Watch Company - Sending a watch for display.

Rpaige – Sending a watch for display.
    River Watch Co – Sending a prototype watch for display.
    Aquadive – Represented by AD forum moderator arutlosjr11 with 3 watches for display.
    Kiger Milsub – jelliotz will be bringing 1 or 2 watches sent by Kiger for display.
    Clover Straps – Sending 4 custom straps for a giveaway.

Not bad for a GTG that started with just 8 people in a pub in October 2013.