Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a date? No thank you

Want a date? No thank you

I love both the symmetry and hassle free morning routine that comes with a no date model. Right now I have a Hulk 116610LV and Explorer II 216570. Both obviously have an eyeball on the right side of the crystal. There is clearly some dissimile between those two sentences. Now don't get my wrong, they are the two Rolexes that I own for very good reason but having sold the Z-Blue Milgauss 116400GV as part of a different acquisition last summer I find myself lusting for another no date.

That doesn't mean I do or do not want another Milgauss. I liked it very much and the blue dial with green crystal was superb, especially the way it all interacted with the light.

What other no-dates does that leave me I may not be contemplating.

Sub
    Explorer I
    Oyster Perpetual

The Sub asides from colour would essentially be a duplicate, not to mention another black diver in the box. Explorer I and OP share a reasonable similarity with my Tudor Heritage Ranger. Anything else I should consider? Vintage like a 5513 could be an option. Even perhaps a vintage Tudor Sub is one I hadn't seriously contemplated for myself before this very sentence though I do like them.

What else say you?

The other catch, I prefer not to stray under 40mm.

No one ever said it was going to be easy!
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Daytona. That was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Daytona. That was easy.
    Don't want it too easy.

That spot could arguably be covered already by this guy
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture81337-image.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  49.1 KB

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

5. Likes Jeannie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Don't want it too easy.

That spot could arguably be covered already by this guy
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture81337-image.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  49.1 KB
    I knew you would say that... But it has a date.

Besides my ML Pontos Small Seconds that's more a dressy watch the Magrette is the first casual sporty piece I owned without a date and I'm loving it. I think any new additions for now on will have no dates as the collection grows it's getting to be a hassle to pick up and set the dates on rotating. I am looking at Tudor Black Bay, Speedmaster and Speedy FOIS and the Explorer in the updated 39mm size (if I can just get past the short hands) the Explorer would probably be the one

Quote Originally Posted by -JP View Post
    Besides my ML Pontos Small Seconds that's more a dressy watch the Magrette is the first casual sporty piece I owned without a date and I'm loving it. I think any new additions for now on will have no dates as the collection grows it's getting to be a hassle to pick up and set the dates on rotating. I am looking at Tudor Black Bay, Speedmaster and Speedy FOIS and the Explorer in the updated 39mm size (if I can just get past the short hands) the Explorer would probably be the one
    Black Bay is great, I like mine very much. Though I've changed it around from how it left the factory to be fair. It is a favourite. I've not tried in the 39mm Explorer I but I think there are probably a lot of similarities in how it wears compared to the Milgauss I had, and I enjoyed that one as well. It wore slightly larger than its 40mm size would suggest. Either of those I think you can't go wrong though.

Speedy are ok for sure; I do have a 57 but it doesn't get as much wrist time as my Rolexes or Tudors for sure.

For my no-date interests here I think the new style Explorer I is probably leading the charge but definitely need to stop by my AD and try it in for size.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I knew you would say that... But it has a date.
    It along with the Daytona also have three extra dials that I'm not needing to replicate either though. Speedy, Fastrider and THC are probably enough chrono said for me right now.

Blog Entries
    I really prefer not having a date. If it must be there, I'd like it at 6 or 3.

11. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    I also prefer not to have a date, especially on mechanical watches.

I agree that the Explorer is very similar to the Sub, which is one point which stopped me getting one in the end. Perhaps less so in your case though, given that your Sub is green with a date. Is a 39mm close enough to 40mm for you. Or, as an alternative, what about one of the new Cellinis?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  66.7 KB
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

13. Likes ljb187, gnuyork liked this post
    Gorgeous, that Cellini.

They're under-promoted, Cellinis, which is odd considering Rolex's pre-eminence in marketing.

15. Likes gnuyork liked this post