Likes Likes:  1,948
Page 201 of 330 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 3293

Thread: What music are you listening to right now?

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Sounds like a decent album title.

Or, just The Plastic Straws as a band name.
    I'm reminded of this, which is timely, as it is an excellent Sunday morning album.

Name:  CS524196-01A-BIG.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  78.4 KB
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boatme99 View Post
    Boy, it seems that someone opened the gate at the nut house in time for Christmas this year! Teachers telling wee bairns there's no Santa, teachers saying candy canes are too religious to be allowed, Rudolph and Charley Brown are racist misogynist bullies, teachers saying red and green are verboten for some injustice only they can percieve, and people *****ing about Christmas music because it has religious significance!

Where will it all end!
    Some of that is ridiculous. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer is allegorically anti-racism, Charlie Brown creator Charles Schulz demanded a black character be added to Peanuts after receiving a letter from a teacher post-MLK assassination. To be fair, though, there is no Santa, and much of Christmas music is religious and it can be alienating. When I was a boy, I had to get in front of the whole ****ing school and parents and sing shit like “Joy to the World” in school. That song is about Jesus—those weren’t my beliefs then and they aren’t my beliefs now. And it was alienating to me and the large number of Jewish children in my class. And I had to do it. My parents didn’t want to make a stink about it else I be treated as more other than I already was, and as an elementary school kid, I didn’t know better enough to stand up and say I didn’t want to sing it. And even though there’s Christmas music that isn’t overtly religious, and even though I do celebrate Christmas as a secular, commercial holiday now as an adult, I really don’t think we should be pushing religious music in schools.

Candy canes are fine though.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

3. Likes popoki nui, CanadianStraps liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Some of that is ridiculous. Rudolph the red nosed reindeer is allegorically anti-racism, Charlie Brown creator Charles Schulz demanded a black character be added to Peanuts after receiving a letter from a teacher post-MLK assassination. To be fair, though, there is no Santa, and much of Christmas music is religious and it can be alienating. When I was a boy, I had to get in front of the whole ****ing school and parents and sing shit like “Joy to the World” in school. That song is about Jesus—those weren’t my beliefs then and they aren’t my beliefs now. And it was alienating to me and the large number of Jewish children in my class. And I had to do it. My parents didn’t want to make a stink about it else I be treated as more other than I already was, and as an elementary school kid, I didn’t know better enough to stand up and say I didn’t want to sing it. And even though there’s Christmas music that isn’t overtly religious, and even though I do celebrate Christmas as a secular, commercial holiday now as an adult, I really don’t think we should be pushing religious music in schools.

a good rendition of 'White Christmas' should do the trick if that isn't considered racist

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post

Santa might not be real, but faith is. There are a lot of Santas out there, they go by many names.

7. Likes Raza liked this post
    Hey Raza, sorry, I might not have been clear about the music. I didn't mean in school, I meant on the radio or in stores. In public.
    I'm not a Christian either but it's part of the season and I have no problem hearing most of it for a few weeks.
    Except that crappy rock or insipid country Christmas music!
    Oh, and that Little Drummer Boy. Sometimes I wish he'd have just fallen down a well on his way to the manger.

Think I'll crank up choral Christmas music this morning!

9. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boatme99 View Post
    Hey Raza, sorry, I might not have been clear about the music. I didn't mean in school, I meant on the radio or in stores. In public.
    I'm not a Christian either but it's part of the season and I have no problem hearing most of it for a few weeks.
    Except that crappy rock or insipid country Christmas music!
    Oh, and that Little Drummer Boy. Sometimes I wish he'd have just fallen down a well on his way to the manger.

Think I'll crank up choral Christmas music this morning!
    Yeah, if stores and malls and stuff want to play Christmas music, they should go right ahead. I ventured to the market yesterday and was very surprised to find that it wasn’t playing Christmas music. But, I also did my grocery shopping in one of the most hipster neighborhoods in the city, so that might explain it.

I actually don’t mind Little Drummer Boy too much, if I’m honest. Not my favorite, but it’s not so bad.

11. Likes boatme99 liked this post
    Anyone that doesn't enjoy the muppets rendition of Merry Christmas Baby has no soul.

In the company suite AKA the penthouse to see Halestorm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    Anyone that doesn't enjoy the muppets rendition of Merry Christmas Baby has no soul.
    Don't think I've heard that one, actually.