Likes Likes:  61
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets see the dive watch portion of your collections

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    There was absolutely no reason to be shy, you have some great watches there!! I really like the Omega SM300, is it a Watchco?
    Thanks ilitig8! No big guns in the stable, but many lovely affordable ones that I really enjoy. Yes, the SM300 is a Watchco. It's been great since I have it. I take it in water and the 1968 565 caliber is just great, running at an average of +8 sec/day. I'm really happy with it.
    ~Daniel~

2. Likes Lexvil liked this post
    I love dive watches, and find the timing bezels really useful. They are my most used watch feature, over the time.

Still have these

No longer have these

G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

4. Likes ilitig8 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    Yes, the SM300 is a Watchco. It's been great since I have it. I take it in water and the 1968 565 caliber is just great, running at an average of +8 sec/day. I'm really happy with it.
    Forgot to mention that your photography is great, wish mine was better, or at least I would bother to take more time with it.

As for the SM300 I accumulated a mishmash of SM300 parts both original and service to do a big triangle SM300 then found out my dial was almost certainly an Asian copy and lost interest. I have been thinking about just slapping it together and not worrying about the dial origin since I don't plan to sell it. But, there is that part of me that just won't let me do it and I don't have the impetus to track down another bog triangle dial.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

Forgot to mention that your photography is great, wish mine was better, or at least I would bother to take more time with it.

As for the SM300 I accumulated a mishmash of SM300 parts both original and service to do a big triangle SM300 then found out my dial was almost certainly an Asian copy and lost interest. I have been thinking about just slapping it together and not worrying about the dial origin since I don't plan to sell it. But, there is that part of me that just won't let me do it and I don't have the impetus to track down another bog triangle dial.
    Reality is some parts for a vintage, long out of production, watch may have to be a repro! Send me the parts and I'll put that bad boy together.
    In my opinion a true vintage dial should be used for restoration of an original not used on a parts watch.

Thanks again for the kind words! My pics are a mix of iPhone and point and shoot camera with manual settings. Sometimes one out of 20 comes out ok Great if you appreciate them.

My understanding is that the big triangle was a military requirement for the British Royal Navy and that dial is virtually impossible to find. This is THE one I would like to have for sure. It's by far the most coveted Seamaster 300. Unfortunately, the only one I saw were either in very ''USED'' condition or/and very expensive when in decent shape. All the replacement big triangle dials I have found, were fakes : (

I'm with you though, I would also have problems with a fake dial on my watch even if it was only for me to wear. As it is now, I do consider my Watchco as an Omega since all the parts are the correct Omega parts. If you ever source some real ones, please PM me : )
    ~Daniel~

Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    Reality is some parts for a vintage, long out of production, watch may have to be a repro! Send me the parts and I'll put that bad boy together.
    In my opinion a true vintage dial should be used for restoration of an original not used on a parts watch.
    I appreciate the offer but I just need a few hours to slap it together when I either decide to get another dial or just accept the fake dial.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    My understanding is that the big triangle was a military requirement for the British Royal Navy and that dial is virtually impossible to find. This is THE one I would like to have for sure. It's by far the most coveted Seamaster 300. Unfortunately, the only one I saw were either in very ''USED'' condition or/and very expensive when in decent shape. All the replacement big triangle dials I have found, were fakes : (

I'm with you though, I would also have problems with a fake dial on my watch even if it was only for me to wear. As it is now, I do consider my Watchco as an Omega since all the parts are the correct Omega parts. If you ever source some real ones, please PM me : )
    I got the dial in a bag of odds and ends I bought from an old watchmaker ending his career, I didn't pay anything for the stuff and just thought I found the holy grail. I don't think I would be near as stressed over using it if it was not a dial that would then make the watch purport itself to be a rather rare watch, that just makes it seem worse somehow. That said I could wear the thing daily in my life and probably not meet someone that would realize that it looks like a special watch. The point being nobody I ever meet would think of it as anything other than a wrist watch and certainly not a rare version of a ~50 year old diver.

I have three watches that qualify:

Ebel Sportwave Aquatica 500:

Another view:

Concord Mariner (only 10mm thick):

And the casual-use diver, the Seiko Black Monster:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417895556.413788.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  137.8 KB

Rick "not a dive-watch nut" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

11. Likes Bwana, ilitig8 liked this post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  111.0 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  121.2 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  189.5 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 121