Likes Likes:  5

Thread: High end and Chinese?

High end and Chinese?

Just out of curiosity what do people think of the Chinese high end watches? Do you consider them high end?

Stuff like Maison Celadon Celestial

Or some of Beijing Watch Factory's high end creations.

Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

The problem is, probably no one here has seen any in real life, which makes it really hard to gauge the quality. I'd be more likely to view the artistic ones as potentially high end, simply because I'm sure there are plenty of talented artisans who can do custom hand painted dials and similar things. But the movements are a different question--I'm not sure whether the same level of skill would be present as would be for the folks who assemble high end movements for, say, Patek Philippe.

I will say I was (and still am) very impressed with the fit and finish of my "other place" tourbillon, for the price. But until we can drop the "for the price" language, it seems to me tough to elevate the Chinese products to high end, except from a pure artistic point of view. Although I'm sure many people who buy watches like that are totally disinterested in the finishing or accuracy (within reason) of the movement, whether they're buying a Maison Celadon or a Piaget...

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The problem is, probably no one here has seen any in real life, which makes it really hard to gauge the quality. I'd be more likely to view the artistic ones as potentially high end, simply because I'm sure there are plenty of talented artisans who can do custom hand painted dials and similar things. But the movements are a different question--I'm not sure whether the same level of skill would be present as would be for the folks who assemble high end movements for, say, Patek Philippe.

I will say I was (and still am) very impressed with the fit and finish of my "other place" tourbillon, for the price. But until we can drop the "for the price" language, it seems to me tough to elevate the Chinese products to high end, except from a pure artistic point of view. Although I'm sure many people who buy watches like that are totally disinterested in the finishing or accuracy (within reason) of the movement, whether they're buying a Maison Celadon or a Piaget...
    That is kinda what I was thinking. A lot of pictures I have looked at of the high end Beijing watches (one of those posted is a $55k watch) the movement finishing just doesn't quite look as nice as the Swiss equivalents. I have to be honest though on the artistic ones I struggle to see a difference between the two in pictures as far as dials. It be interesting to see them side by side.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    That is kinda what I was thinking. A lot of pictures I have looked at of the high end Beijing watches (one of those posted is a $55k watch) the movement finishing just doesn't quite look as nice as the Swiss equivalents. I have to be honest though on the artistic ones I struggle to see a difference between the two in pictures as far as dials. It be interesting to see them side by side.
    It would. Of course, it's kind of academic, as the Celadon watches are most likely all made to order--there won't be a showroom where you could see some examples, even in China, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    It would. Of course, it's kind of academic, as the Celadon watches are most likely all made to order--there won't be a showroom where you could see some examples, even in China, I bet.
    As I own a Celadon Premier, I can say it's a nicely finished watch. But, as beautiful as the movement is, it is not a hand finished work of art as you would find in a PP or VC.

7. Likes mlcor, 93EXCivic liked this post
    Should anyone have a spare 200,000. in sterling... yes

The Athena is pretty cool

Name:  TB2C2BqcFXXXXa4XXXXXXXXXXXX-1621964804.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  190.4 KBName:  TB2xEJqcFXXXXaJXXXXXXXXXXXX-1621964804.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  417.8 KB

http://world.tmall.com/item/19401423...22&abbucket=11

Cool works vid. worth a look too

9. Likes raveen liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    Should anyone have a spare 200,000. in sterling... yes

The Athena is pretty cool

Name:  TB2C2BqcFXXXXa4XXXXXXXXXXXX-1621964804.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  190.4 KBName:  TB2xEJqcFXXXXaJXXXXXXXXXXXX-1621964804.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  417.8 KB

http://world.tmall.com/item/19401423...22&abbucket=11

Cool works vid. worth a look too
    Admirable artistry, but again, it's all about the dial and elaborate decoration. I don't read or speak Mandarin, so I don't know anything about the movement other than it's obviously hand wound.

Oh, it said SB18 but very decorated

Or at least the 3/4 plate

13. Likes raveen liked this post
    Certainly elaborate.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx