Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcomer Sinn brings my Germans up to a week's worth... Warning: GuB content!

Blog Entries

Newcomer Sinn brings my Germans up to a week's worth... Warning: GuB content!

Last week, I picked up a used Sinn 556A, one of those watches that has long been on my radar screen. I had some success cleaning it up after some rough use by the previous owner.

Why are German watches so cool? I dunno, I have a fondness for Bauhaus era arts (more the Paul Klee approach than the architecture, to be honest) and some of my favorite iconic watches include the Junghans Max Bill and Glashutte Senator '60s... For reasons I can't explain I have a slight fetish for anything from Glashutte. So just for fun, I'll wrist share all 7 of my Germanics this week. Here they are:

And the first day of the cycle is dominated by the newcomer:

I'll keep the Nomos and the GuBs running all week for sure, because they have those annoying slow-set date wheels. At least the Nomos and Spezimatics have ones that change with a back/forth across midnight. The Cal 69.1 requires a full day's rotation for each date flip. Ugh, what a pain. Thank goodness for quickset dates!

I'll post back here occasionally to add a wrist shot or one-off portrait from my small humble collection. Feel free to thread-jack for lively conversation, I don't mind one bit.

Anyone else have a thing for Glashutte? Post your vintage or new ones if you wish!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes FuzzyB, OhDark30, meijlinder, geoffbot, Faiz liked this post
    Is this where I post this

4. Likes skywatch, OhDark30, Faiz liked this post
    Blog Entries
    That's a beautiful minimal dial. Is it a Cal 69 or a Russian movement (2209?) in there? I keep looking for good condition no-date GuBs but they just don't come up often without sill inflated prices. For some reason the Ebay sellers think people will mistake these for Lange or something.

Lovely collection you have there!

I am getting far behind in my picture taking, so my photos of Glashutte watches are a bit lacking. Here's a couple of my Nomos Orion Solar.

And with a little less jarring background.

And here is my Wempe. I can't figure out why I haven't bothered to take a half-decent picture of this one either.

A Muhle recently departed.

A Nomos long departed.

I have another Muhle that I haven't taken pictures of and my wife has a Nomos of her own. I think that does it for the Glashuttes in my house.

7. Likes skywatch, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, that blue Nomos is like a mysterious tiger's eye. Beautiful. Can you tell us a bit more about the Wempe? Is it based on a 2824? It looks like a smaller size, I like that. Thanks for posting!

My favorite bit about Glashütte is the opportunity to drop in that umlaut
    Apparently, with the internet, the umlaut is a dying breed, as many web addresses use the non-umlaut version of words eg Glashuette
    I'll let DA fill you in on Miss G's movement - suffice to say it is echt Deutsch :-)
    Last edited by OhDark30; Aug 20, 2015 at 04:49 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Apparently, with the internet, the umlaut is a dying breed, as many web addresses use the non-umlaut version of words eg Glashuette
    I'll let DA fill you in on Miss G's movement - suffice to say it is echt Deutsch :-)
    You're up early Kath (but I understand you work various shifts.) I vaguely remember that Glashütte was yours. (And yes, I also tend to avoid non-ascii characters on the Web as they tend not to sort very well in some search engines.) I am fascinated by the WWII and post war stories about the town of Glashutte, stories that the watchmakers were conscripted to make cheap military watches then much of their equipment was confiscated by the Soviets upon take-over, and sent to Moscow for Poljot to use (This summary is not deeply researched, mostly regurgitated from faulty web-induced memories.) I love the resurgent playful energy that Nomos showed when they blossomed up out of the post-Berlin-Wall period. I am in fact interested in what movement DerAmf has in Miss G. :-)

Hi, yes it is fairly early here :-)
    Here's a link to more about the confiscation of Tutima-Urofa machinery, taken to Moscow to make the 1MWF Kirova chronos, issued to Soviet pilots in the late 40s
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/kir.../topics/892236

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440049312.635691.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  80.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440049322.500407.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  112.7 KB
    More dial and movement pics here
    http://www.ussrtime.com/cgi-bin/show.pl
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OhDark30; Aug 20, 2015 at 05:44 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

12. Likes skywatch, FuzzyB liked this post
    Sodding Samsungs have the attitude that "Oh you're writing in English you won't ever need any accents" God I miss my blackberry, at least it was designed for civilised humans. I love that Germany declared (quite literally) that since umlauts are tricky, everyone was quite welcome to replace them with "e"s. And of course, most people just omit them.

Anyway, in Miss G is an 09-20 which is a very tiny and not round movement, developed, iirc, for ladies watches and presumably needed for in Miss G not to foul the curve of the dial.

Before it was serviced it was gaining four minutes a day, now just the one. Hurrah for the lack of a seconds hand

14. Likes OhDark30, skywatch, FuzzyB liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Hi, yes it is fairly early here :-)
    Here's a link to more about the confiscation of Tutima-Urofa machinery, taken to Moscow to make the 1MWF Kirova chronos, issued to Soviet pilots in the late 40s...l
    Indeed I remember reading that article back when it was fresh. It's one of several examples I have seen, relating the stories of stolen machinery. Fascinating how many shadows still linger 75 years after that ugly war.