Likes Likes:  244
Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a style question, get an answer

Ask a style question, get an answer

There was a similar thread elsewhere that was rather popular. So, send 'em this way!

Watches optional...

Does anyone outside USA wear plaid shorts, do people even use the word plaid?
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

What's the trend for ties these days, M?

A few observations. Neck ties are actually being worn less, and especially in business context.

Interestingly enough, neck tie sales are actually up only because of a certain demographic that chooses to wear them casually (i.e., hipsters).

Outside of that, neck ties are getting thinner (both the very thin 2.5" versions but also a much more reasonable ~3.5", just like in the 60s). More knits are common, but unfortunately, they are not particularly well made (i.e., companies like Penguin making nylon knits).

However, interestingly enough, bespoke ties are becoming more popular. Bow ties are also showing somewhat of a resurgence, but thanks to the demographic that I mentioned above.

5. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    How about for a wedding. Tie/no tie?

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    What's the trend for ties these days, M?
    If I may way in. Not skinny but not wide...a somewhat moderately thin width. My sweet spot is 2 5/8". Something in tweed or marled wool looks good this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
    If I may way in. Not skinny but not wide...a somewhat moderately thin width. My sweet spot is 2 5/8". Something in tweed or marled wool looks good this time of year.
    I'd say that anything less than 3" is thin, at least by contemporary standards. 3.5" is the classic "regular" vintage width (e.g., Hermes ties from the 70s). The move towards 3.75" and even 4"+ is reminiscent of what happened in the 1940s.

In the late 80s, ties got wider again, with much bolder, artsy patterns. And in the 80s, *really* thin ties became popular (~1-2").

Thankfully, after another swing towards wider ties, the momentum seems to be headed the other way. I'm also seeing a lot more grenadine and textured ties, and the advent of smaller but better quality operations, thanks to the web.

One of my tailors, who also sells bespoke ties, has been complaining about how these smaller operations are increasing the demand for good quality wool, especially the more esoteric ones such as shantung.

9. Likes Upstate liked this post
    Most certainly. Something sober, preferably not pastel or primary. Dark blue and muted pattern. Textured is fine.

Obviously depends on the theme and location, but white shirt, dark suit (e.g., navy or gray), and sober tie. If you're adventurous, brown shoes and belt. If you're not, black it is.

My general attitude towards weddings is that it's about the couple, and so you need to be dressed in a way that respects the occasion without being the center of attention.

11. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Does anyone outside USA wear plaid shorts, do people even use the word plaid?
    Yes, and yes. In fact, I distinctly remember seeing pictures of certain British royalty wearing plaid shorts in one of the former island colonies.

Besides, the Scots have worn plaid kilts for much longer, and if I'm not mistaken, the word plaid is Gaelic in its origins. Although I think outside of Scotland, it is probably used more in North America than anywhere else. Most others just refer to them as tartan, or variants thereof.

13. Likes MarkO liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely wear a tie to a wedding. I'm not M, but I'm going to go ahead and weigh in on this.