Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    OMG, that's had one hard life !
    I prefer the term well appreciated

What about using a flap disc? Those are some pretty good scratches and dings
    IWL ROLEX/TUDOR FORUM HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

Fine bespoke leather straps & accessories

Black Friday sale now on... discount code BlackFriday2016 saves you 49% no limit!

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I am having better luck with the crystal than the case.

What do you use for the crystal? I have a couple with hardened glass crystals and quite a few scratches and can get anywhere near cleaning them up.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    The chrome cases are nearly impossible to sand. I am having better luck with the crystal than the case.
    Dremel and file work?
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

6. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    I prefer the term well appreciated

What about using a flap disc? Those are some pretty good scratches and dings
    I always sand by hand on a flat surface. I fix sandpaper to something called die matrix, which is a highly stable and super flat form of ply wood. It's a little like the plywood used to make race boats. When I am doing angles I build a jig so that I minimize wobble. I hate rounded edges where they should be sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Dremel and file work?
    Sorry, I'd have multi-quoted you but I missed yours. I never use power tools. Much of my enjoyment comes from the meditative nature of drawing the case back and forth, back and forth...

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    What do you use for the crystal? I have a couple with hardened glass crystals and quite a few scratches and can get anywhere near cleaning them up.
    I use waterproof automotive refinishing grits. I will often put something like swirl remover on the sandpaper first.

I no longer know what the dial on this is. It is much harder than acrylic but I am having luck with the haze and shallow scratches. It takes a lot of work though.

I use waterproof automotive refinishing grits. I will often put something like swirl remover on the sandpaper first.

I no longer know what the dial on this is. It is much harder than acrylic but I am having luck with the haze and shallow scratches. It takes a lot of work though.

Thanks mate.
    I suspect you may be dealing with hardened glass and am looking forward to seeing your final results.

Any update on this one?
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Any update on this one?
    Not a good one...

It is one of the Louis Rossel chrome hardened steel cases, which usually don't scratch. They dimple. It is almost impossible to sand these ans if the scratches are deep enough one can scratch through to the steel underneath. The steel is slightly yellower than the chrome and shows...and, I'm there. Or near enough.

Not a good one...

It is one of the Louis Rossel chrome hardened steel cases, which usually don't scratch. They dimple. It is almost impossible to sand these ans if the scratches are deep enough one can scratch through to the steel underneath. The steel is slightly yellower than the chrome and shows...and, I'm there. Or near enough.

That's a shame Henry but that's the joy of vintage watches, for each gem there's a couple of turkeys hidden away in the drawer.