Likes Likes:  437
Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Wot u readin'?

Robert ludlum The road to Omaha Finished The road to Gandolfo
    Last edited by Smeagal; Dec 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Upstate View Post
    Just started this also. Can also count on Lee Child for some good quick fun.
    I have read all the Jack Reacher books hope if ever another film is made its not Tom you know who,At least get someone taller and better at acting
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

3. Likes Upstate liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    The Burning Room by Michael Connelly

Jeannie
    Also read all of Harry Bosch books Read 1 to !8 then waited ages for the end of his Career

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    In some genres, one gender tends to outsell the other. People often prefer sci fi written by men and romance written by women. It's about gender stereotyping more than anything else and none of us is really immune.

Whether this is what prompted Ms James to use her initials or not, I cannot say.

Jeannie
    At the risk of sounding sexist, I do that myself. Male writers in my experience tend to write in a different way than female writers. So when purchasing new books I know that I take that into consideration for the style of books I look for.
    Fantasy novels I don't care who writes them, murder mysteries, thrillers and that stuff I prefer women writers, war I prefer male writers, horror stories is a toss between the two unless it's vampires that needs to be written by a guy. Historical fiction I tend to prefer male writers as well, and I don't have an opinion on the rest. This is a generalization and there are plenty of exceptions, but I tend to pick up books that follow this criteria more often than not. It does not mean that one gender writes one style better than the other, it's just that judging by the authors that I like and dislike, this is usually the case.
    I actually knew PD James was a woman, and a great writer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smeagal View Post
    I have read all the Jack Reacher books hope if ever another film is made its not Tom you know who,At least get someone taller and better at acting
    Just finished Personal and really enjoyed it. I've read them all as well and was surprised Tom Cruise got the role. I must say I did actually enjoy the film for what it was. Duval was great. But yeah...not what I picture Reacher to be when I read the books.

Just started 'Split Second' by David Baldacci.

I am reading "It" from Stephen King. I read it in High School 22 years ago, but I think I may appreciate it more now. I am also reading "The Righteous Mind" by Jonathan Haidt. An excellent treatise on morality and values.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    At the risk of sounding sexist, I do that myself. Male writers in my experience tend to write in a different way than female writers. So when purchasing new books I know that I take that into consideration for the style of books I look for.
    Fantasy novels I don't care who writes them, murder mysteries, thrillers and that stuff I prefer women writers, war I prefer male writers, horror stories is a toss between the two unless it's vampires that needs to be written by a guy. Historical fiction I tend to prefer male writers as well, and I don't have an opinion on the rest. This is a generalization and there are plenty of exceptions, but I tend to pick up books that follow this criteria more often than not. It does not mean that one gender writes one style better than the other, it's just that judging by the authors that I like and dislike, this is usually the case.
    I actually knew PD James was a woman, and a great writer too.
    Well, I suppose it is sexist, but I think everyone probably does it to some extent for pretty much the reasons you listed.

Jeannie

One thing that irks me with female writers (fiction) is the tendency to go off on the clothes someone is wearing or how the room is decorated.
    In a mystery, you read four pages of tripe about Martin's shoes, jacket, ascot, etc., thinking there's a clue in there. But no, it's just fashion writing. Absolutely no bearing on the story.

Oh. I'm currently rereading "Eric", by Terry Pratchett. One of Discworld books.
    I think I've read them all. I'm going back and redoing a few.

I'm eagerly waiting for a new Christopher Moore book to come along. Also recently have gotten into Richard Kadrys "Sandman Slim" books.

That's all mindless fiction. I also enjoy history and try to work through a couple of classical literature pieces between the fiction.