Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big hole in my collection that I don't know how to fill

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Big hole in my collection that I don't know how to fill

My modest collection is missing something crucial, and since I don't know how to fill the gap it's driving me bawwabajagga. What I need is a gold-cased 3-hander with a nice brown leather band that's not so spendy that I wouldn't feel comfortable using it for daily wear. Either auto or hand crank is fine.

A fair portion of my wardrobe includes various earth tones -- browns, greens, ocher, russet, etc. I'm dissatisfied with the way steel looks with that palette, and find that yellow gold with brown leather is much more to my taste. I have two gold plated quartzes from my pre-WIS days, but they're plated and they're quartz. And they're both too small for my current tastes, one's a 33mm and the other a 34mm. The closest thing I have to what I want are my bronzes, which all wear brown leather: a Kaventsmann Bathyal, a Heroic 18 bronze, and a Maranez Bangla bronze. The problem is that bronze is not gold, and doesn't really scratch that particular itch. Also, the three bronzes are all big honkin' Brobdingnags, and don't play well with long sleeved shirts.

At first I thought about going vintage. But there are several problems with that. First of all, I don't know a damn thing about watch resto & repair, and don't know of a good watchmaker in my neck of the woods. Then there's the annoyance that vintage pieces are almost always too small, since I prefer something ≥ 38mm ≤ 44mm. And finally, there's the issue that I don't know anywhere near enough about vintage pieces to be able to evaluate prospective buys.

To complicate matters immeasurably, it seems that 18ct yellow gold has gone out of style for all but the upper strata of watches, and I'm not in a position to spend mega-shekels on this. Ideally, since this will be primarily for daily wear, I'd like to keep it to ≤ $4k. I'm definitely okay buying used, assuming excellent condition.

So...any suggestions for makes & models?
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

The Hentschel H2 at 38mm, A.Schild HW might do it ?

Name:  Hent h2-2.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  138.9 KBName:  Hentschel a.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  133.3 KBName:  Hentschel movement.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  137.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    The Hentschel H2 at 38mm, A.Schild HW might do it ?
    Gorgeous! I wonder if they have a center second version of that watch.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Gorgeous! I wonder if they have a center second version of that watch.
    Absolutely they do, the Automatic versions are 3 handers.

Blog Entries
    Jaeger-Le Coultre Master Control. Forty mil, automatic (in-house), possibly rose gold only at the moment.

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/uplo...42520-zoom.jpg

You may have a hard time finding one for four grand, though.

Otherwise, if you want gold plated, the Hamilton ThinOMatic might fit the bill. Forty-two mil, auto.

Alternatively, check out Longines, the Master Collection should have something nice for around that price range. If you purchase pre-owned. And I think they too may only be offering rose gold.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

6. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Look at the Zenith Heritage collection. Both the Port Royal and the Ultra Thin. You can't find any of them new for $4K, but some used you could find for slightly above. And if you're okay with a two-tone watch, you can find it for under.

This Ultra Thin is currently on eBay for $5,650 OBO, New! and has the Elite movement in it. I think this is a helluva price for the watch you get:

Name:  zenherultthi.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  10.5 KB

This two-tone Port Royal is currently on eBay for $3,600 OBO, New, and I believe is one of the few Zeniths that uses a Sellita movement (which they had a change-of-heart about and are now being phased out):

Name:  zenherporroy.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  7.4 KB

You could find some similar deals if you look consistently, as I do, because I like Zeniths. I think one of their grayish dials with a gold case would go perfectly with your wardrobe, although I haven't seen them come up preowned too recently:

Name:  zengrey.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  28.0 KB

8. Likes Der Amf, JAGtime liked this post
    Baume et Mercier Dig around in the grey market dealers and I almost guarantee you will find what you want at least within three to four hundred bucks of your budget. There is a very nice Clifton that fits everything but is rose gold for about $4200, there are some larger ~39mm yellow gold pieces from the Classima line though I think they are all discontinued but should be rather easy to find grey.

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post

Big hole in my collection that I don't know how to fill

You might consider the Ball 120. I've never see a gold Zenith that cheap?
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 23, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    You might consider the Ball 120. I've never see a gold Zenith the cheap?
    I know. I was a bit shocked at the price on the first piece I posted. But the second one is really a stainless steel watch with a gold bezel, hands, indices, and crown.

A Junghans Max Bill in gold perhaps?
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

14. Likes DM71 liked this post