Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your definition of affordable (because Ric already asked "what's high end?"

What's your definition of affordable (because Ric already asked "what's high end?"

Someone had to do it. Might as well be me.

I say under $600 is enough to buy 90% of the watches with all my "minimum specs" and not be weighed down by "We're Swiss/We're 100 years old" pricing. There are a handful of really tempting pieces up to about $700-$800, but the Quaker mindset starts to kick in and I get all shaky when I think of spending that much, so I tend to stay under $600 in my mind.

The two pieces I have stuck in my head above $600 are the Certina DS-First (about $660) and the Halios Delfin, for $720...

(I gotta make a "Basic Black" watch soon.)

What say you?
    Eight essential vitamins and minerals - Lew & Huey

Please don't force me to put a lot of stuff here by asking me a bunch of questions with answers easily found on my website.

Take $25 off your purchase of an in-stock watch with coupon code IWL.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    Someone had to do it. Might as well be me.

I say under $600 is enough to buy 90% of the watches with all my "minimum specs" and not be weighed down by "We're Swiss/We're 100 years old" pricing. There are a handful of really tempting pieces up to about $700-$800, but the Quaker mindset starts to kick in and I get all shaky when I think of spending that much, so I tend to stay under $600 in my mind.

What say you?
    Well, make up yer mind: Quaker or Shaker?

I agree that 90% of watches that can deliver huge satisfaction can be found under $600.
    So, I kinda draw the line there for "affordable."
    Maybe the more accurate word would be "reasonable"; I can barely "afford" to buy shoes now.

And as a matter of principle, I cap it at $1K. Crikey, it's just watches.

EDIT:
    Yeah, so up to 1K is technically "afffordable" for me, BUT, after they cross that $600 barrier, they better have something dang special - for a 3-hander.
    Otherwise, I get cranky with em for being dbags.
    Frankly, I am most comfortable with most 3-handers under $400.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Nov 22, 2014 at 05:37 AM.

3. Likes docvail liked this post
    I'd go with "enough to be a Seiko SARB". That to me is the top end of affordable.
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

5. Likes docvail liked this post
    Affordable to me means around the $300-350 mark, some decent pieces at that price point but some scrap too, so need to shop wisely.
    The $200 Kommadirskie K-34 GMT i've just had is a great example to VFM.
    Though i do agree closer to the $500-600 mark does get a fair hike in quality, and there are some $700-800 i'm lusting after, but that needs more discipline and saving/planning lol

Chris

7. Likes docvail liked this post

Though in reality 'affordable' seems directly related to post count.

9. Likes whatmeworry, Ric Capucho, docvail, WillMK5 liked this post
    I'll pick up to $400. In my own head, I don't have to justify spending up to that amount. Beyond that, it's "How much do I really need/want this?" "There are plenty of good options in the $300-$400 range."

[SIDE NOTE] I *hate* it every time Doc posts that DS First, because then I end up doing an image search because I like looking at it, then to horademoda to see what the price is, then to WR to see if anyone's unloading one for cheap, and generally spend a day or two thinking about it before almost but not quite buying it, yet again.

11. Likes docvail, jsw41, hanshananigan liked this post
    My Nivrel was closer to $800 and I've never felt it to be out of place under the Affordable umbrella. Certainly I thought twice about spending that sum, but I would be doing that at $300, too.

I go up to 1000$.... USD. Just an easier number to work with.

But then there are vintage ones or 'steals' which may have cost me < 1000, but generally would be north of that. Bit tougher there, for me, anyway, in terms of what I would call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My Nivrel was closer to $800 and I've never felt it to be out of place under the Affordable umbrella. Certainly I thought twice about spending that sum, but I would be doing that at $300, too.
    Yes, every purchase should be weighed up against the alternatives
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Yes, every purchase should be weighed up against the alternatives
    Except manual Seikos going for 25 on ebay. Then you just pile in.

And then spend 100 sorting them ou.... Ah. Hmm.

Yes, good point.