Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your definition of affordable (because Ric already asked "what's high end?"

Blog Entries
    I'd agree with $1000 US as well but I don't think we have to restrict discussion or move posts if we get something a bit higher.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Whatever it takes for me to wear a watch as intended without thinking about it, I don't think there is a fixed number especially once I decided fewer watches works better for me.

Generally, $1000. It's amazing how that number has changed for me over the years. Years ago, I was broke and on assistance. Any watch not gifted to me was too expensive. Period. Then, with hard work, opportunity, and God's blessing, my fortunes changed. $6,000 became easily affordable. Now, I find it difficult for me to justify anything over $600. It must be VERY special to crest over that self imposed limit, although true affordability for me is much higher. It's what I'll call "chosen affordability", or self-imposed affordability. I choose to not spend over a certain amount (near $600), but I'll still define 'affordable' to near $1000.....

I agree with you doc. I have to really think about every watch purchase but would say that 90% are in that $600 and under range with a few, very special pieces, venturing above to the $800-$1000 range. It would take some serious decision making to go above $600. I am presently struggling with that very decision, to purchase what is, for me, one of the most beautiful watches I have seen in a long time and what may bring me to break my one-watch-per-brand rule...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416671701.172212.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  39.1 KB

"I'm just a witness"

5. Likes Mediocre, docvail, josh liked this post
    I would have to agree on the $1000 price. I have yet to break that barrier but my Sinn was close. Sadly it has gone to pasture. Replaced with an incoming Delfin.

7. Likes docvail liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Affordable to me varies. Attempting to define affordable to me, it would be whatever I can afford at the time without savings-effort and without a concern over scratching/damaging it in the future. Depending on time of year, affordable probably ranges between $600-$1200. It is less around Christmas, because funds are focused everywhere else. It is more in the spring because there is little taking place to call for my extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by shemp View Post
    I'll pick up to $400. In my own head, I don't have to justify spending up to that amount. Beyond that, it's "How much do I really need/want this?" "There are plenty of good options in the $300-$400 range."

[SIDE NOTE] I *hate* it every time Doc posts that DS First, because then I end up doing an image search because I like looking at it, then to horademoda to see what the price is, then to WR to see if anyone's unloading one for cheap, and generally spend a day or two thinking about it before almost but not quite buying it, yet again.
    Yer welcome.

Something something tapatalk...
    Eight essential vitamins and minerals - Lew & Huey

Please don't force me to put a lot of stuff here by asking me a bunch of questions with answers easily found on my website.

Take $25 off your purchase of an in-stock watch with coupon code IWL.

10. Likes shemp liked this post
    I generally consider $1000 to be the barrier for Affordables, even if that is out of reach for me at the moment. A part of it is what price watch I would be comfortable wearing. There are $4000 watches I love, that even if I could afford, I'm not sure I'd want to actually wear on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by JME. View Post
    I agree with you doc. I have to really think about every watch purchase but would say that 90% are in that $600 and under range with a few, very special pieces, venturing above to the $800-$1000 range. It would take some serious decision making to go above $600. I am presently struggling with that very decision, to purchase what is, for me, one of the most beautiful watches I have seen in a long time and what may bring me to break my one-watch-per-brand rule...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416671701.172212.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  39.1 KB

"I'm just a witness"
    Oh god yes, this white Tropik is amazing.

I quite agree. I think, given that Christmas is coming up, that I will have to save and get one aftermarket. I don't think I'll be able to swing it when they come out and think they will be snapped up quickly.

"I'm just a witness"

14. Likes Mediocre, josh liked this post