Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?JUMP HOUR? what are they !

?JUMP HOUR? what are they !

well I was enjoying a chat in passing on wruw thread about them. and I thought it would be fun to see them and have peoples views on them and the term jump hour.
    when was it first used by who for what you know how these things go would love to have this thread pic heavy with them cheers.
    ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well I was enjoying a chat in passing on wruw thread about them. and I thought it would be fun to see them and have peoples views on them and the term jump hour.
    when was it first used by who for what you know how these things go would love to have this thread pic heavy with them cheers.
    ismy

Not entirely sure, but it must have something to do with Daylight Savings Time?

A jump hour is watch that has an analogue minute hand, but the hours jump over once per hour. I have only one:

The problem with these for me is that I tend to read it, taking the picture as example, as 5 to 10, and not 5 to 11....
    Last edited by Martin; Nov 24, 2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: punctuation

4. Likes is that my watch, Whoa liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    A jump hour is watch that has an analogue minute hand, but the hours jump over once per hour. I have only one:

The problem with these for me is that I tend to read it, taking the picture as example, as 5 to 10, and not 5 to 11....
    so technically what would you call this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Jump hour watches were released primarily in the earlier days of digital watches as a way to make a mechanical watch have a digital style method of telling time. The original jump hours had 2 rotating discs for the hour and minutes. The style with the minute hand came along later. Here's mine:

I love the style and vintage models can be had on eBay for well under $100 in the $50 range) but keep in mind that getting them serviced is both extremely difficult and not at all cost effective so you should consider just about any one you would buy to be an expendable piece as you will have little to no viable repair options if it stops working.

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamJ View Post
    Jump hour watches were released primarily in the earlier days of digital watches as a way to make a mechanical watch have a digital style method of telling time. The original jump hours had 2 rotating discs for the hour and minutes. The style with the minute hand came along later. Here's mine:

I love the style and vintage models can be had on eBay for well under $100 in the $50 range) but keep in mind that getting them serviced is both extremely difficult and not at all cost effective so you should consider just about any one you would buy to be an expendable piece as you will have little to no viable repair options if it stops working.
    cheer's yes seen some in the £100 plus range I thought not for me but a cheaper fun one would be. and that's what I found in mine think I would contemplate collection them if I can keep to say the £30 or less lots on the bay
    Last edited by is that my watch; Nov 24, 2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling not good
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Close to where I live there is a watch shop selling trendy watches. They have this kind of thing on sale there

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    That LIP is actually quite cool.
    But the rotating disc versions mostly are not jump hours, in the sense that they jump to the next hour instantly.
    Another quite cool example, but no affordable, unless you own a desert on top of a lot of oil, is this A. Lange:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    That LIP is actually quite cool.
    But the rotating disc versions mostly are not jump hours, in the sense that they jump to the next hour instantly.
    :
    this bit ^^ is what confuse me thou they jump to the next hour THEY JUMP so they are not yet they are hmmm nope still confused
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    this bit ^^ is what confuse me thou they jump to the next hour THEY JUMP so they are not yet they are hmmm nope still confused
    If the LIP flicks to the next hour ,then it's effectively a jump hour, if it slowly turns as the minutes progress then it's not a jump hour - shimples

Here's effectively a jump hour (ignore the fact that it's effectively a jump minute too though )