Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building some watch boxes

Building some watch boxes

So I currently have two watch boxes that I put together myself. One is a four spot box made from a Bookers bourbon box and the other is made from a box I got at Hobby Lobby on sale. But I wanted one for my vintage Panerai homages that are in the works.

Anyway I went on eBay and bought a big load of cigar boxes (since I also wanted to build a cigar box guitar). In the box were two boxes like this one.

So I am making two boxes (one of which is going to be given away).

I sanded down the one I am making for myself.

The top of the box is a cheap composite wood but the sides seem to be nice enough to to stain.

The plan is to do a double stack box for a total of six watches.

It should be noted at this point measure twice instead of following me and measuring once, cutting once, cussing a lot and going back to Lowes.

The box am I keeping is going to have a painted top and stained inside and outside lined with leather where the watches sit. The box I am giving away is going to be left alone on the outside painted on the inside and lined with leather where the watches sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes is that my watch, BlackNomad liked this post

Do I paint the inside of this box red or brown? Leaning red since it matches the red in the labels.

4. Likes BlackNomad liked this post
    yes love things like this am always turning thing that are of no more use into other things that are I love buying the old a4 paper draws you see knocking around they make excellent watch draws if you are a nato user they all sit one under the other and side by side they look great and is easy to find the watch of choice but had not thought of cigar boxes great idea
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Looking good

I'd go with the red to match the label

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Check you my youtube channel - Blanchy Talks Watches

Looking good. I would go for brown inside as it's more neutral and will make your watches stand out more.
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Blog Entries
    Tell me more about the cigar box guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    Tell me more about the cigar box guitar.
    I haven't built one yet but basically it is something along these lines.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/1...ar-box-guitar/

Admittedly haven't seen the end product , but I'd have left the outside of the box original

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Admittedly haven't seen the end product , but I'd have left the outside of the box original
    I am leaving one as is on the outside. The other I think will look good (going for an aged look) but if not I have a couple other boxes I can work with.

A bit more work on the boxes.

First of all the boxes aren't the same size. So that board that was too small fits the other box perfectly.

I started putting together the tray for one.

Starting on the outside of the other.

Part of the box will be stained with a mixture of white vinegar and steel wool to give it an aged look.

13. Likes Blanchy, watchdaddy1 liked this post