Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. Wheeze. Cough. Bleah.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Ugh. Wheeze. Cough. Bleah.

I just placed my first order with Camille Fournet for a strap. Had to swallow hard when I saw the price. Then I noticed that 8.3% of the total was for VAT. And I'm not even in the damn EU. Can I go to Brussels and beat up somebody?

What 'value' is supposedly being added for which I should cough up 8.3% in addition to the US tax I'm already paying?

This is how I feel at the moment:

Name:  angry.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  95.6 KB
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

2. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Vat is 20% on the uk. Which sucks somewhat. But at lesst it's included in the ticket price - you have high sales tax in some states that's added on after, infuriating.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    you have high sales tax in some states that's added on after, infuriating.
    My state sales tax is 7.25%. My county sales tax is 10.25%, which utterly galls me since the condition of the roads in my county would make a third world dump look like paradise with an ocean view. Worth noting that the city & county govs where I live are so corrupt and incompetent it's breathtaking.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    My state sales tax is 7.25%. My county sales tax is 10.25%, which utterly galls me since the condition of the roads in my county would make a third world dump look like paradise with an ocean view. Worth noting that the city & county govs where I live are so corrupt and incompetent it's breathtaking.
    6% state, 8% in the city. So annoying.

I remember learning about sales tax as a kid when I learned that my $5 weekly allowance somehow wasn’t enough to pay for a $4.99 GI Joe action figure (3 3/4”). Didn’t make any sense to me in the Toys R Us checkout line, I got so mad.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Thought EU VAT was around 19-25% so how come so low , but if outside should have been knocked off anyway

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/v...vat-rates.html

to pay in your own place , but why others

Blog Entries
    Just realized I calculated it wrong. The VAT is $43 on a $260 total, so ~17%, not 8.3%. Now I’m even more annoyed.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

That sounds wrong - usually when ordering a watch from the UK they actually just take 20% off the cost when you select Usa as the shipping address's I think. Vat is almost always included in any price you see
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

9. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That sounds wrong - usually when ordering a watch from the UK they actually just take 20% off the cost when you select Usa as the shipping address's I think. Vat is almost always included in any price you see

Inneresting. Do the French typically do the same? Or should I have a word with Camille Fournet?
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

11. Likes SyntaxTerror liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post

Inneresting. Do the French typically do the same? Or should I have a word with Camille Fournet?
    Supplies of goods dispatched or transported outside the territory of the EU are exempt from VAT.
    However, that's contingent on the seller supplying documentation that the goods have left the EU... so, yeah.

Generally VAT is refunded on watches I've purchased from Europe. You might get it all back. Can't help on the US taxes.

When my wife was in Paris she filled out some form and about a month later got back all the VAT on some LV purchases she made for her and her girlfriends.
    Last edited by Samanator; May 8, 2023 at 08:22 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes Strange liked this post