Likes Likes:  119
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pilot watch pictures thread

Those are some pretty sweet watches, DM71!

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Those are some pretty sweet watches, DM71!
    Thanks for your kind words, sir!
    ~Daniel~

I suppose this could be added as it's an Air King.

Peace,
    Preston
    Last edited by Preston; Dec 3, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

The thread is a "Pilot watch pictures" thread. However, it's clear by a lot of the pictures posted that some can't differentiate between a field watch, diver, and pilot watch. There's a general military thread where some of these pics would be more suitable.

I'm currently without a flieger at the moment, but I'm in the market for one again. Love the idea of a "pilots only" thread like this. It helps with inspiration to get me out of diver mode.
    Last edited by appa papa; Dec 4, 2014 at 01:13 PM.

I totally hear what you're saying. There's certainly a lot of overlap between pilots and military watches.

Personally, I feel that some watches (e..g, Seagull 1963) would qualify as a pilot watch, but isn't necessarily a military watch. Some Breitlings are great pilot watches with good aesthetics, and are fine in the confines of a cockpit. But they would be pretty poor on the field.

I look at pilot watches as fliegers, watches with aviation history, or watches with functions to support aviation (e.g., slide rule or compass). Can a pilot use a diver? Sure, as a pilot, I have certainly used my divers while flying. Does that make a diver a pilot watch? I'd have to say no.

On the other hand, a good diver that can take a beating (e.g., a Seiko Monster) is a great military watch as well, because it can take the beating on the field. It can survive shocks, mud and grime, and generally unpleasant conditions.

A few watches (e.g., the Casio Pathfinder I posted) are all of the above. It has tools for both pilots and for the field, and can take one helluva beating in land, water, or ice.

But I also have watches that are just regular, average watches that I love when flying -- the Seiko 5 with black dial and red hands is one of them. The red hands stand out, and it is such a clean, legible, and simple design. Is it a true pilot watch? Well, only in that I wear it when I fly.

People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    ... (e.g., a Seiko Monster) is a great military watch as well, because it can take the beating on the field. It can survive shocks, mud and grime, and generally unpleasant conditions.

I swear there is another one of M's famous "Chinesishly" subtle jabs at me somewhere in there. Just know it.

8. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post

Only own one currently. But I plan on building a full on 55mm flieger homage before long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

10. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    I have 2 seiko snk and citizen blue angels A-T