Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Find It Strange If.....

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    The problem in Canada and probably in the US too is that there has been such a brand consolidation that you now have the Whirlpool group (Whirlpool, Amana, Maytag) and the Electrolux group (GE, Frigidaire, Hotpoint) and the two Korean giants - Samsung and LG. Even brands like Sears Kenmore are made by Whirlpool. So it looks like a lot of brands out there but there is not that much choice at the end of the day. Add to that the facts that we live in a smaller town (limited shopping choice) and we are restricted in the size we can buy. Basically our choice came down to Whirlpool or Samsung.
    Except now the GE appliance division is owned by Whirlpool as well.

Blog Entries
    Right now my major electronics aggravation is tablets. I can build a desktop and replace and upgrade as needed and after 10 years I'll still have the case and maybe the power supply. I have a 2 year old Nexus 7 that won't play the games my grandson likes. Older versions of Android do not support some of them.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking fridge. I hate it.

Blog Entries
    I think Electrolux got GE (at least in Canada) but it is still another brand consolidation exercise. Whirlpool has KitchenAid I know.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I had a professor almost 20 years back who had a friend who programmed computers for a major appliance company. He said the computer was taken to "a special team" after it was programmed so that the manufacturer could program bugs and flaws that would force people to either pay outrageous cash for new parts or buy another one.

He said that the thinking was "solid state parts will never fail and we'll be out of business".
    I read that somewhere the use of cheap crap capacitors is one of the problems with electronics failure. It's a win win for a company to use cheaper parts because it cost them less, AND they will fail. I always thought it would be cool to start a company that made solid products designed not to fail, but then I would probably be right out of business.

It surly irritates me, and I try to hold onto what I have rather than replace with the latest for this very reason. My parents have the same washer and dryer since they moved into a house in 1994. That washer and dryer was there from the start of the house built in 1978. Still works flawlessly, just might not be quite as efficient as some of the newer stuff, but it's bullet proof.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I have a Viking fridge. I hate it.
    Looks like a commercial grade unit. Too big for my kitchen unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I think Electrolux got GE (at least in Canada) but it is still another brand consolidation exercise. Whirlpool has KitchenAid I know.
    Oh yeah, you're right, it was Electrolux...I can't keep it straight anymore. There's some other manufactures (in the electronics industry) making some changes and I don't know if it's public yet, so I shouldn't say.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    There's some other manufactures (in the electronics industry) making some changes and I don't know if it's public yet, so I shouldn't say.
    Not sure I want to know anyway. All this corporate concentration doesn't result in better products.

Ray, I will say that the LED lights are a huge improvement in new fridges
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Blog Entries
    I have a pre-Whirlpool KitchenAid refrigerator that I love. Made by Hobart and a really good solid fridge even though it's older than some of the posters on this forum.

Jeannie