Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6r15 into skx007, show me how?

It looks nice! How about a full write up on the process with pics?

Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Any issues getting the movement in there?

The 6r15 literally drops straight in. The only issue is that you need a crown that fits both the movement and the skx case, of which the sarb059 and a couple of others work. The movement and crown were supplied by Rob at Monsterwatches. He also sent me a black date wheel. The dial, hands, bezel insert and domed crystal were from Dagaz. The watch itself was from ebay and was a skx009. The bracelet was bought used from a good guy from WUS but I think it was also originally from Monsterwatches.
    The most scary bit was changing the date wheel. You have to remove 4 tiny screws which hold a plate on over the date wheel, then there is a date click piece which also has to come out. When you put it all back together the cogs that move the date don't want to line up so it's a bit of a heartstopper until it all lines up. Putting the hands on is also a bit of a mission, and the hardest part about that is making sure they line up exactly at 12. The hands are in fact a fraction out so when I send to my watchmaker to do the crystal (I don't have the press to do that myself) I will ask him to reset the hands.

Guys, very sorry but I don't have photos as I was more worried about getting all the parts back together before one of my small children came in and caused chaos!

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    How has this evolved since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    How has this evolved since then?
    Interesting question, and actually it's evolved significantly since a year ago.
    Firstly, the crystal was replaced with a sapphire double dome and a sterile chapter ring. I then decided the hands needed more definition. I also discovered that you could get a slightly sloped bezel insert and matching domed sapphire crystal (sold as a kit by Dagaz and called a "superdome" kit) and decided to go for it. By now I had bought the crystal press so did it myself. So it went to this:

My next thought was that the dial looked too small, due to having a sterile chapter ring and minute markers on the dial. Dagaz sells a type of dial that has no minute markers therefore needs the original chapter ring. So off with the crystal to swap to a new chapter ring, and the new dial. I also decided there's no substitute for Seiko lume, so new original hands were ordered and changed at the same time. Oh, and the date wheel had to be swapped again to better match the new dial. It's taken about a year to get it where I want it but I think its there.

6. Likes Der Amf, meijlinder liked this post
    Admirable.

Golly. Golly golly golly. If I were ever to want a diver.... Er, how big is that, and what's the final cost?

Edit
    Oh thank heavens it too big. Phew!

Best bezel ever. Aside from all the satisfaction you must be feeling in making it, it's satisfying simply to look at. Really good balance. Too many mods look too obviously like they're just ticking all their owner's boxes at once, but this has real coherence, and a nice sense of space too
    Last edited by Der Amf; Nov 16, 2015 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Golly. Golly golly golly. If I were ever to want a diver.... Er, how big is that, and what's the final cost?

Edit
    Oh thank heavens it too big. Phew!

Best bezel ever. Aside from all the satisfaction you must be feeling in making it, it's satisfying simply to look at. Really good balance. Too many mods look too obviously like they're just ticking all their owner's boxes at once, but this has real coherence, and a nice sense of space too
    Thanks mate. It actually wears like a much smaller watch due to its almost square like lug proportions. I think its 42mm across 9-3 but only 46mm 12-6. By having the crown at 4 it seems to hide some of the width. I would add though that it is quite a tall watch, so proportion wise its a bit like a double cheeseburger compared to your Seiko ham sandwiches.

10. Likes Der Amf, ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    Interesting question, and actually it's evolved significantly since a year ago.
    Firstly, the crystal was replaced with a sapphire double dome and a sterile chapter ring. I then decided the hands needed more definition. I also discovered that you could get a slightly sloped bezel insert and matching domed sapphire crystal (sold as a kit by Dagaz and called a "superdome" kit) and decided to go for it. By now I had bought the crystal press so did it myself. So it went to this:

My next thought was that the dial looked too small, due to having a sterile chapter ring and minute markers on the dial. Dagaz sells a type of dial that has no minute markers therefore needs the original chapter ring. So off with the crystal to swap to a new chapter ring, and the new dial. I also decided there's no substitute for Seiko lume, so new original hands were ordered and changed at the same time. Oh, and the date wheel had to be swapped again to better match the new dial. It's taken about a year to get it where I want it but I think its there.
    I had the pleasure of manhandling this watch this afternoon. It really does look fantastic. I forced the figures out of MoK and totted up how much the whole thing would cost (base watch, new movement and crown, new bezel and crystal, new bracelet, new dial...original hands though! ) and thought it very reasonable