Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Davide Cerrato still secretly working for Tudor...?

Is Davide Cerrato still secretly working for Tudor...?

.... because he just murdered Bremont.

https://www.bremont.com/pages/bremon...s?currency=gbp

2. Likes tribe125, geoffbot, Radharc liked this post
    Uh oh.

Not a huge fan of Bremont, but to me this looks bad direction. New CEO making his fingerprint?

4. Likes GaryF liked this post
    It’s a bewildering turn of events. You would assume that Cerrato worked with a bit more stealth and refinement, but the Bremont re-boot looks clumsy and misjudged.

It seems the English brothers aren’t actively involved anymore. The new American owners had every reason to believe that Cerrato was the right man for the job. You can see what he’s attempting to do, but for the moment he seems to have flown the company into the side of a mountain.

6. Likes Fantasio, GaryF, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Feels like a Longines mashup

8. Likes GaryF liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I don’t get it. What’s so bad? There isn’t a single watch company that doesn’t make a model or even a model line that I don’t care for, I don’t see how one new introduction is being met with such doom and gloom. Hell, the chronograph, especially when paired with the brown leather, looks quite nice for an adventure watch. I’d prefer a dive bezel to a compass one, but it fits the theme better. Why such a negative reaction?
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

10. Likes GaryF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I don’t get it. What’s so bad? There isn’t a single watch company that doesn’t make a model or even a model line that I don’t care for, I don’t see how one new introduction is being met with such doom and gloom. Hell, the chronograph, especially when paired with the brown leather, looks quite nice for an adventure watch. I’d prefer a dive bezel to a compass one, but it fits the theme better. Why such a negative reaction?

The new models are mundane, but the bigger issue is the character of the rebranding. The company now has two logos and two typefaces, and the newer ones have nothing going for them at all. Like the old Bremont or not, they had created a consistent identity. Cerrato has taken a wrecking ball to that. I think he was right to offer watches at lower prices, but the changes look like a brutal downshift to a lower level.

I think people could easily have accommodated a more affordable line of field watches but these look a bit amateurish. Just look at the three lines of text that say ‘Terra Nova - Automatic - London’, all in the same size font. Of course, it doesn’t help that Bremont is based in Oxfordshire rather than London, but the English brothers had already taken this liberty with geography. The ‘London’ thing may now look even more awkward with the majority ownership of the company in New York.

Overall, it looks like Nick and Giles English created something that they could be proud of, but now, with retirement as an attractive prospect, they’ve cashed in their chips - regardless of the outcome. It’s probably not as stark as that in reality, but it can look that way.

As an afterthought, I can’t imagine that the English brothers actually like the new watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I'm assuming that the models which still have the triptych case and the hardened steel are the last remnants of the original output while the shift to cheap, generic stuff is phased in.

14. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Didn't like em before, hate em even more now.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

16. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The new models are mundane, but the bigger issue is the character of the rebranding. The company now has two logos and two typefaces, and the newer ones have nothing going for them at all. Like the old Bremont or not, they had created a consistent identity. Cerrato has taken a wrecking ball to that. I think he was right to offer watches at lower prices, but the changes look like a brutal downshift to a lower level.

I think people could easily have accommodated a more affordable line of field watches but these look a bit amateurish. Just look at the three lines of text that say ‘Terra Nova - Automatic - London’, all in the same size font. Of course, it doesn’t help that Bremont is based in Oxfordshire rather than London, but the English brothers had already taken this liberty with geography. The ‘London’ thing may now look even more awkward with the majority ownership of the company in New York.

Overall, it looks like Nick and Giles English created something that they could be proud of, but now, with retirement as an attractive prospect, they’ve cashed in their chips - regardless of the outcome. It’s probably not as stark as that in reality, but it can look that way.
    I suppose I can see what you’re talking about, but I guess since I never felt attached to Bremont, I can’t really muster much of a response.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking