Likes Likes:  367
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Sunday - 8 Nobember 2015 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by ytk View Post
    Let this be my first pic post..

Welcome ytk. Nice photo, nice watch, cute pup!

Jane

2. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Jagtime, thanks

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post

6. Likes Henry Krinkle, JAGtime, watchdaddy1, mlcor liked this post

1911 Illinois

It's Sunday - time to rotate.

This week's carry is a 1911 Illinois 18s, 17j RR grade. Model 6, grade 89, "Emperor". Currently living in a gold filled, 3 hinge case (crystal, back, and dust cover). The dial is similar to the 16s South Bend from last week - but note that we're back to 18s. I have only one younger 18s watch (a 1913 Waltham) - so again I note that at this time there was a long transition from 18s RR watches to 16s. It's not really a big change - but it's clearly noticeable in the hand, and when trying to fit in the 5th pocket of a pair of Levi's 501 jeans. The 18s takes a bit of care; the 16s feels tiny by comparison. Most 18s are not only bigger in diameter (compared to a 16s), but also definitely THICKER.
    16s watches were produced before this - but they had not yet achieve "RR Grade" status. This was (I think) the last size change - the last American made RR grade PW was a 16s (in 1968).

Note the very readable numerals, and the red 5-minute markers, on both last week's South Bend ("The Studebaker") and this week's Illinois. The emphasis on large, readable numerals on a RR Grade watch persisted - the 5-minute markers, not so much. The youngest PW with red 5-minute markers in my collection is a 1940 Hamilton 992B.

Alas, neither of these companies lasted much longer; equipment and talent found it's way to the companies that survived - most notably Hamilton. In the case of Illinois, they were bought out by Hamilton in 1927, but continued as an independent line until 1932...and then as a "brand" completely under Hamilton until 1939. Illinois produced movements for several other brands (notably Burlington and Plymouth). The first Illinois movements date to 1872; my oldest is from 1879.

But, enough yammering - let's see the pictures!

Name:  Illinois2272542_8Nov2015Overview.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  69.9 KBName:  Illinois2272542_8Nov2015Movement.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  112.1 KBName:  Illinois2272542_8Nov2015.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  69.8 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Playing around with another combo. Evening switch

lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Beautiful photo, Laurent. Is the Damasko Chrono new? I remember the Damasko you had as a non-Chrono.
    Thank you Jane,
    This chrono Damasko is in my watch box since some times.
    I've sold a lot of watches to down size the collection.
    But I can't decide myself to sell my Damaskos
    "chirp, chirp"

10. Likes JAGtime liked this post