Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you prefer...

I don't plan to flip em. But I'm aware of the possibility so will likely buy preowned next to minimise losses...

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I don't plan to flip em. But I'm aware of the possibility so will likely buy preowned next to minimise losses...
    Indeed, preloved is the way to go. We're a bunch of OCD'ers watch nerds.... you can buy preowned all they long and get close to new watches!
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    A related story.

I had painstakingly "built" a Panerai that has now become my wife's watch because it is "water resistant". My local watch guy had come across some parts, and wanted to know if I'd be interested in "building" one, so I said why the hell not. It probably took him well over 14 months to source it all, but it was a labor of love.

Anyway, we go to pick up the watch and it's raining. My wife doesn't have a watch on. I, of course, had one. So the conversation was along the lines of, "This watch can get wet, right? And made for the Navy? I'm former Navy, so I guess I'll take this."

I haven't seen it since.
    Your wife is rapidly climbing the charts in my estimation.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

4. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    How about wife, have you seen her?
    Only when I get handed a baby to change his diaper.

6. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Your wife is rapidly climbing the charts in my estimation.
    She's a southern girl who was a sailor, so her vocabulary is far more colorful than I am even capable of.

I rather not sell. Taking my time and buying classic designs that aren't too trendy I find I don't grow bored of as often.

When buying a watch, the thought of selling it has never once crossed my mind.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. Likes Seriously liked this post
    On rare occasions I'll buy something that is either at a price so good that I know I can easily sell it without loss or even at a gain. But I've learned that if it's not something I really want, it's usually not worth the time, effort, and risk.

Generally, buying a watch and not keeping it feels a bit like a failure. The exception here would be the sale of one or more good watches to buy something I truly want more. But my idea of success is to refine down; to have few watches, but each well tuned to my tastes.

I usually buy to keep, but those are sometimes famous last words........
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Now that my death is in sight...

But seriously, age does make a difference. There's plenty of time to recover from frivolity when younger, less so when older. Most of my purchases these days are intended to be for life. Inevitably though, another 'watch for life' comes along, and an existing watch for life is demoted and sold to pay for it.

I did recently buy a watch with the expectation of selling it, but it was very cheap and the only way of having a good look at it was to buy it.