Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Watchmaker camp?

Watchmaker camp?

Has anyone done a short-term watchmaker's program?

I keep thinking that I remember someone saying that they attended a week-long ETA program in Switzerland. That would be a dream vacation for me.

Has anyone done something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Has anyone done a short-term watchmaker's program?

I keep thinking that I remember someone saying that they attended a week-long ETA program in Switzerland. That would be a dream vacation for me.

Has anyone done something like that?
    I spent 2 days with Thomas Prescher, making a part, finishing etc, some 4 years back now.
    He opened his workshop to the public in the summer, and maybe worth contacting him, or someone like him regarding that. You might not learn as much as you would in a week long ETA program, but you could learn a specific thing you wanted from one of the masters.
    Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that job.
    www.aegirinstruments.com

3. Likes Rob liked this post
    I don't know how good your German is, but Blancier gives these courses. I have met the people a few times, and their English is quite good, so there might be possibilities.
    http://www.blancier.com/de/blancier.php?code=1

Another german company also has this possibility
    http://www.lindburgh-benson.com/semi...inar-eins.html

5. Likes Rob liked this post
    I think Geoffbot did a lesser DIY one last year?, but maybe it was a one-off cos I never heard him mention it since?

Maybe he got annoyed with it 1/2 way through and threw it across the room

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I think Geoffbot did a lesser DIY one last year?, but maybe it was a one-off cos I never heard him mention it since?

Maybe he got annoyed with it 1/2 way through and threw it across the room
    http://www.timezonewatchschool.com

I did level 1, but on the very last step of reassembly (fitting the shock to the balance jewel) I broke it, and haven't bought a new one yet.

My tips: instead of buying new tools and a movement go preowned, and get an old fleiger or something with a 649x.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes Rob liked this post
    I think that would be a most interesting series of classes to participate in,

I would try it in a heartbeat if ever offered the opportunity.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Great feedback. More than I expected.

Thank you.

I'd like to. I've thought about taking the online Timezone course but would prefer an in-person class.

I've been getting my education from a local watch/clock repairman, I once had two teachers and full access to a fully outfitted shop but sadly he suddenly passed away, he was a master and a certified Rolex service person. I still miss him, he was an amazing craftsman. My current teacher is great and he continues to evaluate my work.

I hope to one day be offered an old school pals clock and watch shop to care for so he can pursue his real estate business full time but he's hard to impress. He told me that when he feels "I'm good enough" we'll talk.

:-)

I heard that there is a school in Montreal that teaches watch repair, I'd love to do that if I could afford it someday.

Peace,
    Preston

13. Likes Rob, Ryan liked this post