Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A closer look at the "9" family...

Hybrid View

A closer look at the "9" family...

Up close and personal with my 3 GS's....

We'll start with the SBGX091

Now for the SBGA075

Finally the SBGJ005

I can't believe you had the guts to open them up.

3. Likes Domo, Rob, Adi4, GaryF, Matt liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Wow. You weren't joking with that thread title. Which did you find most impressive? Was there anything that surprised you? Great pictures.

5. Likes Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    I can't believe you had the guts to open them up.
    I'm full of surprises!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    Wow. You weren't joking with that thread title. Which did you find most impressive? Was there anything that surprised you? Great pictures.
    Thanks!
    Two things really got me with the 9S86. I had no idea the tungsten weight on the full rotor was so large (you can't see it at all through the display back) and also I was genuinely amazed when I saw the irregularly drilled holes around the perimeter of the balance wheel. Seiko says that 9S balances are trued by hand - but I always thought that was a pretty token statement. To see that sort of work go into it's adjustment, on only a 6 grand watch: amazing.

7. Likes Chronopolitano, Ahriman4891 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Two things really got me with the 9S86. I had no idea the tungsten weight on the full rotor was so large (you can't see it at all through the display back) and also I was genuinely amazed when I saw the irregularly drilled holes around the perimeter of the balance wheel. Seiko says that 9S balances are trued by hand - but I always thought that was a pretty token statement. To see that sort of work go into it's adjustment, on only a 6 grand watch: amazing.
    Nice. I've been surprised too looking at some rotors out-of-movement. Some of them go really deep into the case, like a wisdom tooth.

9. Likes Domo liked this post
    Great photos, I would never be that brave though. That High beat rotor is amazing.

11. Likes Domo liked this post
    I love spring drives, and I miss mine everyday (and seriously considering going back to SD from my automatic), but the movement just seems to be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I'm full of surprises!.
    You sure are!
    Knockout photos!

Amazing pics. I mean really. Especially like the 9F pics because they are so rarely revealed, especially at that level of detail. You really need to watermark those 'cause I'm gonna steal 'em at some point.

15. Likes Bwana, Adi4, DM71 liked this post
    Superb pics Domo. I found myself cooing at a quartz!

P.S. - love your strapline; I guess Brits aren't the only appreciators or irony!