Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there any disc golf players on here?

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    It is a lot cheaper then regular golf so there is that. Although disc buying can get addicting.
    Thanks to getting on insider email lists for a few of my favourite courses along with golfnow, I actually don't find golf to be too expensive. Another reason I play so much.

But, I will certainly give the disc variant a try next season.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    Thanks to getting on insider email lists for a few of my favourite courses along with golfnow, I actually don't find golf to be too expensive. Another reason I play so much.

But, I will certainly give the disc variant a try next season.
    Do it. Be careful selecting discs though some are completely useless in a new player's hands (like mine).

I have three discs in the mail to me right now, an factory second Innova Valkyrie Starlight (super lightweight distance driver), factory second Valkyrie DX (DX is the cheapest plastic so this disc is for shots across water) and a Reptilian Disc Serpent Fossil (it is a putter from a really new company that has been getting awesome reviews).
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

3. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Comparing it to traditional golf equipment, can I assume you demo'd or otherwise tested the discs before buying them online? I see guys buying clubs online all the time that they have never swung before and I can't get my head around it.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Are there any disc golf players on here?

If you have a local disc golf shop sure you can go get a feel of the different plastics but not really throw them.

Best thing is if you have a friend who plays then you can kind of test disc.

The disc flight characteristics are defined by 4 numbers. The first is the speed. That is the arm speed required to use them. The higher the number the faster the disc. The faster disc will travel further into the wind. In general faster discs are also the further flying disc (this isn't always true). The fastest disc I can handle right now is a speed 9 Valkyrie.
    The second is the glide. This is the ability of a disc to stay aloft. A disc with a higher number is generally better for a newbie to use. The third is turn. This is the tendency of the disc to turn to the right when throw properly by a right hand back hand. A +1 is the most resistant and a -5 the least. The fourth is fade. This is what the disc does as the speed dies down. A 0 will finish straightest and a 5 will dive off to the left. So my Valkyrie which is a highly recommended beginner driver is a 9/4/-2/2 whereas my Dynamic Disc Warden putter is a 2/3/0/0.

Discs that turn to the left are called over stable. Ones that turn to the right are understable. Understable discs especially drivers are easier for beginners.

The numbers are fairly good for comparison but not perfect. Some manufacturers are more consistent then other and some molds are more consistent then others. Also the plastics some what effect the flight of discs. Most manufacturers have multiple lines of plastics. Innova is the biggest manufacturer and they have a dizzying array of plastics. They have three main ones. Star and Champion will retain their flight characteristics for a very long time even after a lot of hits. The DX is the cheapest. This will start more over stable then the numbers but as it is beat in it starts to become more understable.

Weight also affects the disc. Lighter discs will be more understable and fly further with a tailwind. However a headwind will kill them. Heavier discs will be more over stable and fly further in a headwind.

The good news is that discs are cheap so trying them out isn't too bad. Also you can misprints and factory seconds for very cheap. Once you have thrown a few discs the numbers actually give you a fairly good idea of how the disc will perform. Of coarse the problem comes in with inconsistent discs. Innova although the biggest brand is not known for the consistency. People heavily into disc golf with pay fairly good money for certain discs in certain runs for that reason.

Mid ranges and putters tend to be easy to use right off the batt. For a putter I'd recommend making sure you try those out in person for the first one because what is comfortable in your hands will probably be what you are best with. Also on putters I'd recommend a softer plastic putter to start with. I have a Dynamic Disc Warden Soft as my main putter. The softer material is less likely to bounce off the chains.

Right now my bag is up to 7 discs. I have a Innova Champion Banshee (I was given this disc and it is super over stable driver. Great for holes where it bends to the left and headwinds), Innova Star Valkyrie (my main driver. A great starter driver and currently my longest disc. For me right now it goes fairly straight and fades predictably at the end. As my form improves, it should start to make a nice S curve), Discraft Z Heat (it is my straightest driver. I use it a lot for low straight shots in the woods), Innova Roc DX (the Roc is probably the most popular mid in the world and also the most confusing. There are five current molds using the Roc name, the Roc, the VRoc, the Roc+, the Roc3 and the Classic Roc. I think about everyone carries a Roc of some sort and I'd highly recommend the Roc as a starter.), Innova Polecat DX (this is a putter. I mostly use it for shots that are too short for my Roc and are going to be very long putts. I also use it for putting on very windy days.) and the Dynamic Disc Warden (this is my main putter. I started with an Innova Champion Aviar Putt and Approach which is probably the most popular putter on the market but I hated it. so I traded my coworker for this one). Discs I have tried but are no longer in my bag, Discraft ESP Comet (it is a highly recommended beginner mid but I was just never been as comfortable with it as my Roc and then I lost it), Millennium JLS (flies just like my Star Valkyrie but not quite as far but not enough shorter to be useful) and an Innova Champion Aviar Putt and Approach (I just couldn't get comfortable with it in my hand and the Champion plastic in my opinion is a terrible plastic for a putter unless you are going to be driving the putter which is common in shorter holes). I currently have a lot of Innova because this is the easiest to find brand. Now that I have a bag I am fairly comfortable with I am going to start experimenting with other brands discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Nov 20, 2015 at 04:45 AM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

6. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    I had never heard of disc golf before reading this thread and googling it.

I think I'll wait for house-brick golf to come into vogue.