Likes Likes:  5
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Unbranded 1920s cushion case manual

  1. #1

    Unbranded 1920s cushion case manual

    I posted this on my SOTC thread on Central, but I thought you might like to see it here.

    Despite having had it since the 90s, I had no idea of the who / what it was until recently, aside from knowing it was hallmarked sterling silver inside. Its a 1922 Dennison case, and the movement is a AS554.

    silver fingers 2.JPG

    silver inside caseback.JPG

    silver movement.JPG

    silver 5.JPG

    I'm going to polish the case, then send it to be serviced, and buy it a more suitable person than the black its on at the moment (I fancy a very dusty blue)
    When I was 20, for christmas I asked for a second hand watch, and this is what I got! Up until then I had only worn Casios. I wore it nonstop for my 3 years of university.

  2. Likes DJW GB liked this post
  3. #2
    ps I wish modern day manuals looked as pretty as this: so often they're dominated by a big expanse of (very nicely decorated) plate.

  4. #3
    Not being picky but the minute hand tip looks like it wants straightening


    oooo it's a red 12 dial http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/red12.htm

    Lovely dial - reminiscent of my "new" 320 Nivrel, not the one I'm wearing today

  5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
  6. #4
    If I were you I wouldn't polish it; I'd only remove the tarnish on the case. But I'm also assuming that can be done without polishing.
    Last edited by Imitation of Life; Nov 27, 2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: meant without, not with

  7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    If I were you I wouldn't polish it; I'd only remove the tarnish on the case. But I'm also assuming that can be done with polishing.
    Having been brought up around a lot of silver, I know that keeping it de-tarnished is a never ending task! That's all you need to do for silver: gentle rubbing, nothing like polishing steel (about which I know nothing) I don't mind. I'm not intending to wear it very much, but my mum, who bought it for me originally would like to know it was being worn occasionally (and I am certain would want it to be worn looking nicely shiny )

    I was wondering how long silver polishing cloths keep good for. My mum said as long as you fold them up along the original folds each time you put them away they're good for about 8 years!

  9. Likes Imitation of Life liked this post
  10. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Not being picky but the minute hand tip looks like it wants straightening


    oooo it's a red 12 dial http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/red12.htm

    Lovely dial - reminiscent of my "new" 320 Nivrel, not the one I'm wearing today
    Do you imagine that something like that escapes my attention....?!

    My presumption is that when it got serviced in the 90s whoever did it decided that the tip was too fragile to risk bending back

  11. #7
    Zenith & Vintage Mod Dan R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,396
    Blog Entries
    9
    Pretty cool watch. I do like how the case back has the pin for proper orientation. You have taken good care of it. I am always wary of my vintage watches with no shock absorbing.

    You don't have to use a silver polish cloth too much or too hard to make it look good. I have two fountain pens that require it and it is never much of a chore. I just wouldn't spend too much time trying to get into the crevices.

    Thanks!

    Dan
    Last edited by Dan R; Nov 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM.

  12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
  13. #8
    I'm going to take it with me next time I visit my parents, and let my mum show me how much/little. Knowing my style of cleaning I would reduce it to a small lump of rounded metal in no time....

  14. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Having been brought up around a lot of silver, I know that keeping it de-tarnished is a never ending task! That's all you need to do for silver: gentle rubbing, nothing like polishing steel (about which I know nothing) I don't mind. I'm not intending to wear it very much, but my mum, who bought it for me originally would like to know it was being worn occasionally (and I am certain would want it to be worn looking nicely shiny )

    I was wondering how long silver polishing cloths keep good for. My mum said as long as you fold them up along the original folds each time you put them away they're good for about 8 years!
    We've got one that was my wife's mum's. Couldn't tell you how old it is, except it's a lot more than eightyears.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us