Likes Likes:  18

View Poll Results: What wrist do you wear your watch on?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

13 27.08%
  • Left

33 68.75%
  • I am Diego Maradona

2 4.17%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What wrist do you wear your watch (and why)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    If you wear it on the right, pushers and crowns don't dig into your hand and are easier to operate. Makes total sense. I can't do it though.
    If, however, we think back to the '50s and '60s, then that was the era of;

a) Smaller, lighter watches, with smaller crowns that were much less prone to digging into the hand.

b) A higher number of hand-wound watches, which required winding on a daily basis.

c) More watches on either leather straps, which had a little bit of give in them, or expanding bracelets like the kind that Speidel were famous for. This meant that the wearer could wind the watch while it was still on his wrist.

Modern watches are larger and heavier and therefore have a tendency to slide down the wrist so that any or all pushers will leave a mark on the back of the hand. Back in the days when an Omega Speedmaster or Rolex Submariner were considered large watches, this may not have been an issue.

Bear in mind that this is just a theory of mine, but I base it on what I saw during my time selling wristwatches. Some movers and shakers wore their (usually very expensive) watches on their dominant hand so that, when they extended their hand to shake yours, you would catch a glimpse of the Royal Oak Offshore or Big Pilots Watch they were wearing. In their non-dominant hand, they would be holding the keys to their Porsche or Audi TT. And they would make sure that you saw them.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    Bear in mind that this is just a theory of mine, but I base it on what I saw during my time selling wristwatches. Some movers and shakers wore their (usually very expensive) watches on their dominant hand so that, when they extended their hand to shake yours, you would catch a glimpse of the Royal Oak Offshore or Big Pilots Watch they were wearing. In their non-dominant hand, they would be holding the keys to their Porsche or Audi TT. And they would make sure that you saw them.
    Interesting. As a non-mover and a passable shaker at best, I started wearing mine on my right hand around 7th grade. No grandiose plans then, other than to somehow snag a kiss with Stacy, whose mom was kinda smokin'.

But on a serious note, I find that wearing the watch on the dominant hand is helpful in some scenarios where I use a watch to time my performance. Sometimes, right is better and sometimes, left is better. But over the years, it's become a habit, so everything else is irrelevant and quite incidental. I just wear it on the right because wearing it on the left now feels weird.
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; Nov 27, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Right handed, watch on right wrist. Always done it since a kid but now as an adult it makes sense as it is easier for me to see my right wrist to time things when working. Love a bit of post-rationalization.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Right handed, pseudo-ambidextrous, and wear my watch on my left. Even now I still do a lot of printing in my shop. If the watch were on my right it would run the risk of damage or getting screen-printing ink on it and it I couldn't read it easily.

What wrist do you wear your watch (and why)

Left

why?.. because my wrist would look like this otherwise

Name:  barewrist.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  60.3 KB

(Edit: extra info: right handed, left wrist)
    Last edited by Seriously; Nov 27, 2014 at 09:29 PM.

6. Likes Nokie, Ryan, wschofield3 liked this post
    Right handed, left wrist.

I have no one I am interested in impressing......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Wear it on my left wrist. Im right handed.

Wear it on my left hand because thats the way Its always been since I was young and Ive never known any differently. I tried it on my right wrist once, it did not feel right at all

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I'm right-handed. Watch goes on my left wrist. Non-dominant hand, which means (slightly) less likely to get banged around.
    Plus 1
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Blog Entries
    Wrist watch left wrist.
    Never thought about it before, but for a pocket watch I'd wear it in a right pocket of some sort, particularly if it were on a fob rather than a long chain. I think you'd want to grasp a pocket watch with your dominant hand for safety reasons.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I think you'd want to grasp a pocket watch with your dominant hand for safety reasons.
    In case it gets all tactical and tries to bust out of your pockets?

12. Likes Bwana liked this post