Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Let's see your early automatic watches

Let's see your early automatic watches

Let's see what you have there in your collections.I have only 2 of the first 3 mass productions,maybe later some time will complete the herd with all the known early automatic mechanisms:

Harwood,the first mass produced self-winding wrist watch,from 1926 -31. Mine is hallmarked 1928 London in 9kt rose-gold case:

Name:  DSC05973 (Small).JPG
Views: 149
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  DSC06640 (Small).JPG
Views: 200
Size:  161.4 KB

Name:  DSC06645 (Small).JPG
Views: 160
Size:  92.3 KB

And the Glycine self-winding. Eugene Meylan's ingenious find - Oct 1930 ,the module which can be (un)mounted on most 8.75 lignes hand-winding movement and turn them into automatics:

Name:  DSC05906 (Small).JPG
Views: 153
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  10 (Small).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  69.8 KB

The 'Rolls' is missing in-between though.Wig-wag and Pierce linear automatic is also in my radar,just waiting for the right time

Let's see those early inventions

2. Likes Aquavit, Dan R, RayMac, Imitation of Life liked this post
    Blog Entries
    That Harwood is pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing!

Dan

Blog Entries
    Thanks Emre. I haven't seen a Harwood up close until now.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

My grandad's Omega 28.10 RA SC PC "Bumper" from 1945-6. It was given to him on his retirement from the Imperial Bank of India on 7/31/1947.

Name:  bumper.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  29.9 KB
    Name:  RAC_9953.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  RAC_9959.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  47.5 KB
    Name:  RAC_9962.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.5 KB
    Name:  RAC_9966.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  51.6 KB
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

6. Likes Dan R, Еmre, RayMac liked this post
    Nice bumper WWII70,thanks for sharing.Well back then,because Rolex patented the rotor,I guess until the patent expired everybody else went with non-spinning rotor inventions.Obviously the crown trials were also popular.That was also the intention of John Harwood.Being challenged during the WW I as an active service man,he saw the problems caused by the crown ( dust-water...) and came up with that bezel function setting the hands.This way the watch was sealed and no space for dust to penetrate.
    The Glycine fold lever was another interesting and chic invention in 1932,fold away lever acting as crown.
    Until 1942 there was no bi-directional winding rotor,first one was Felsa 690 aka Bi-dynator.Those years watchmakers were really creative,eh?

The bi-dynator Felsa 690:

Name:  $_12 (2).JPG
Views: 150
Size:  48.7 KB

9. Likes Dan R liked this post
    For me it's my Cadman with bronze finished 21 jewel Felsa 690.

Peace,
    Preston

11. Likes Dan R liked this post

13. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Name:  475400890968e4a912b30fcbc4de2b98.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  36.9 KBPaid £7.00 for this mido at a market stall keeps good time dates 40s or 50s
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.