Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 6 steel case JLC Masters with just time or date

I can't see a problem with it either
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I apologize if my post came off that way as it was not my intention. I greatly appreciated seeing all of those models in one place as I have looked closely at each one of them. They are all very much a style I greatly admire. However, as I mentioned, I have always found them a little cold in person. If they offered the dial of the Jubilee in the case of any of the steel models you posted, it would jump to the top of my wish list.

Because of your post, I went looking for pictures of the Jubilee because I had such a strong memory of liking it. Seeing the pictures of it compared to the steel models currently offered made me realize what the differences were and what I found so attractive about the other model. If JLC offered that dial in steel and it was the 7th watch you posted, my comment would have been about how much I admired that model.

Wow, I leave you guys alone for one day...

First, that's a terrific set of posts with a lot of research. Personally, I think JLC punches way out of its weight class in terms of fit and finish, both front and back. I never fail to marvel at my Master Hometime in that regard.

Of the ones you posted, in terms of the steel ones, I prefer the ones with some numerals--I think JLC does great numerals and they add some life to the dial. I do agree with Brian that the steel models with only indices can look a bit sterile, although the quality and design of those indices is wonderful. However, IMO those models fare far better in gold. I especially like the small seconds auto in rose gold, which is beautiful.

Excellent set of posts, DA, don't get discouraged. I appreciate your efforts to inject some traffic into the HE forum, as well as all the research into JOC's bewildering array of dressy, non-Reversos!

I recently tried on the Master Control with black dial. In person it's much more exciting then in pics! I actually went in the AD to pick up either that or the 976 but walked out with a Pam 561 The heart wants what the heart wants....next time

I was curious how these watches looked side by side in properly scaled images, so I pulled images from JLC's website and scaled them in Photoshop according to the sizes stated on the JLC website. Here is the result of that comparison.

As I was looking at the images, something struck me as odd, so I checked the lug sizes in the scaled images. I can't say that I was too surprised to find that the lugs were now improbable sizes unless JLC actually likes to use 19.5mm straps. Unfortunately, JLC doesn't believe lug widths are relevant information and fails to provide that critical piece of information based on their website. I rescaled the photos to match the closest reasonable lug dimensions based on the alignment of the lugs with the minute markers and this is what I came up with. I actually think the bottom row may be a little off as I found reference to 21mm lug widths for the 40mm diameter cases. I also found references to 20mm lug widths, so I'm not sure what to believe. Anyway, it does put the sizes of the cases in a little more perspective. There is a great deal of similarity in the lugs of the bottom three watches, but the lugs of the top three vary significantly.

EDIT: If anyone knows the true lug widths for these watches, please let me know and I will update the images accordingly.

Last edited by FuzzyB; Jan 1, 2016 at 07:11 PM.

6. Likes tribe125, Der Amf liked this post
    My Master HomeTime has 21mm lugs, so they're definitely not shy about odd widths...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    My Master HomeTime has 21mm lugs, so they're definitely not shy about odd widths...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I gather, the lug widths for a watch of the same name can also vary depending on the year it was made. JLC does us no favors by failing to list the lug widths on their website. I find that odd as the lug width is a key component for how a watch will feel. They do list the width of the buckle but it gives no indication of the taper.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    From what I gather, the lug widths for a watch of the same name can also vary depending on the year it was made. JLC does us no favors by failing to list the lug widths on their website. I find that odd as the lug width is a key component for how a watch will feel. They do list the width of the buckle but it gives no indication of the taper.
    I feel the same way about thickness. Why must we research like crazy on third party websites to find the thickness of watches, which is another crucial dimension?

11. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I was curious how these watches looked side by side in properly scaled images, so I pulled images from JLC's website and scaled them in Photoshop according to the sizes stated on the JLC website. Here is the result of that comparison.
    Something that immediately struck me when seeing this was difference between these two:

The Small Seconds seems much bigger though of course it's not. I can't decide what to ascribe this to.

The perspective of the render being closer in?
    The lugs being shorter and more squat?
    The minute dots being smaller?
    The nice plump subdial being surrounded by indices that shrink as they approach?
    The way the render has the strap curl away sooner?

I'll try to find some IRL photos to see how many of these ideas stand up

Edit - bonus idea: the shrinking indices also allows the logo to be higher, giving a nice broad stretch of space between it and the centre of the dial

The Small Seconds seems like the outlier compared to the other models. The design almost intentionally gives a fisheye effect for the reasons you mentioned. The Small Seconds feels like the dial is trying to escape the confines of its case whereas the Ultra Thin seems content to be restrained within the confines of its case. I don't know if this impacts the visual impression much, but playing with the images some more, I found that the Small Seconds is not as directly on as the Ultra Thin.

My initial impression was that the lug size (both length and width) were dominating my perception of the watch. If you look at where the lugs lie with respect to the dial markers, you can see that the Small Seconds has a noticeably smaller lug width. The lugs are also significantly shorter.

I decided to play around with the images some more. Here's a split view of the watches:

Name:  JLC Comparison 3.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  49.3 KB

The movement of the name upwards certainly seems to make a big impact on the perception of size. Also, the length of the indices seems to play an important role. To me, the long index at 3 o'clock seems to pull the case inwards, giving it a compressed look. The Ultra Thin appears wider at the 9 o'clock position due to the openness of the dial in that area.

To eliminate the impact of the lug length and visual impact of the straps, I cropped those out of the image as well:

Name:  JLC Comparison 3.1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.5 KB

Cropping the lugs minimizes the size differential a little, but the more open area between the hands and name seems to make a bigger impact.

14. Likes Der Amf, Ahriman4891 liked this post