Likes Likes:  120
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This winter's learning experience.

This winter's learning experience.

Indoor aero gardening.

Name:  PC081815.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  38.2 KB

This is one of two three pod units that I will use in my kitchen for herbs, I've got basil, cilantro and Italian parsley in this one. I also have a much bigger unit going into the basement and I will be growing mustard greens, arugula, mizuno and other greens in it.

Cool. Is it the growing experience you enjoy? Do the herbs taste better than shop bought?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Cool. Is it the growing experience you enjoy? Do the herbs taste better than shop bought?
    I do enjoy the growing bit. I need to keep both my mind and my hands busy. I have never gardened this way before so I do not know if they will taste better than store bought, but I assume they will. One of the problems here is access to what I want in the middle of winter. Even if the store does have it, there is a fair chance that it has gotten frost damage by the time one gets home. Also the salad green I like aren't readily available at this time of year.

There is also an underlying motive here. This is the continuation of moving towards greater self-sufficiency. This will be essential to keep the hope of a Caribbean retirement alive.

4. Likes geoffbot, scottjc, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I do enjoy the growing bit. I need to keep both my mind and my hands busy. I have never gardened this way before so I do not know if they will taste better than store bought, but I assume they will. One of the problems here is access to what I want in the middle of winter. Even if the store does have it, there is a fair chance that it has gotten frost damage by the time one gets home. Also the salad green I like aren't readily available at this time of year.

There is also an underlying motive here. This is the continuation of moving towards greater self-sufficiency. This will be essential to keep the hope of a Caribbean retirement alive.
    That sounds nice. I'd do all I could to keep that goal if I were you!
    Kody

6. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The sorts of things most people grow indoors where I live aren't quite legal where I live.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Well good luck. Do keep us posted. I have a larger one and tried to grow tomatoes and jalapenos. The plants would get real bushy but produce little. Herbs may be a better choice.

As to growing other things that one shouldn't grow, these units don't have enough height to make it worthwhile.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Well good luck. Do keep us posted. I have a larger one and tried to grow tomatoes and jalapenos. The plants would get real bushy but produce little. Herbs may be a better choice.

As to growing other things that one shouldn't grow, these units don't have enough height to make it worthwhile.

Cheers,

Dan

Not nearly tall enough. This one is much bigger but the clearance of the lights are still only 24 inches. I have various greens; arugula, mustard greens, cress adn some Asian greens in this one.

What kind of light source did you have Dan? Also, what kind of food were you using.

Name:  PC081816.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  33.8 KB

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ague Trading Co View Post
    That sounds nice. I'd do all I could to keep that goal if I were you!
    It's a very small, but realistic chance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Not nearly tall enough. This one is much bigger but the clearance of the lights are still only 24 inches. I have various greens; arugula, mustard greens, cress adn some Asian greens in this one.

What kind of light source did you have Dan? Also, what kind of food were you using.
    I'd have to go digging for it in the basement, and that won't happen soon. While cleaning it after the one not so productive season, I managed to blow the pump that circulated the water/nutrients.

Don't hold me to this, but I don't think the light went higher than 18 inches. Given that this was over five years ago, it did not have the readout yours does. But the light is what was supplied by Aerogrow.

After further thought, I plunged into eSpray. Mine was an AG 7 and the headspace seemed to be only 12 inches. That is why I thought poorly of it. What can grow in 12 inches? The lights were new and original, which means they were CFL, not LED. The food is all from AG. Perhaps others are better?

Perhaps I need to spend $15 and get a new pump and see if it will grow herbs? Twelve inches clearance ought to be good for herbs.

Cheers!

Dan

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    I'd have to go digging for it in the basement, and that won't happen soon. While cleaning it after the one not so productive season, I managed to blow the pump that circulated the water/nutrients.

Don't hold me to this, but I don't think the light went higher than 18 inches. Given that this was over five years ago, it did not have the readout yours does. But the light is what was supplied by Aerogrow.

After further thought, I plunged into eSpray. Mine was an AG 7 and the headspace seemed to be only 12 inches. That is why I thought poorly of it. What can grow in 12 inches? The lights were new and original, which means they were CFL, not LED. The food is all from AG. Perhaps others are better?

Perhaps I need to spend $15 and get a new pump and see if it will grow herbs? Twelve inches clearance ought to be good for herbs.

Cheers!

Dan
    I was reading that peppers and tomatoes greatly benefit from manual pollination when grown indoors. I have actually had a fair bit of luck with indoor peppers in the past. I will definitely keep you posted.