Likes Likes:  2
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pelican watch cases with custom inserts...help please

  1. #1
    Member wschofield3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,603

    Pelican watch cases with custom inserts...help please

    I've been trying to get in touch with one known as Quasimodo on another forum. He made custom inserts for Pelican cases. I went to his Facebook "sale site" and when trying to pay, his PayPal is no longer working.

    Anyone know of another source for custom foam or complete watch boxes with foam other than the "pick and pluck" version that comes with the Pelican cases? I'm not convinced that the pick and pluck is soft enough for highly polished surfaces and would like to get something made specifically for watches instead.

    BTW, there was another company doing this and I had them bookmarked on my old computer...but it kicked the bucket a few months back. My recollection was that they just started offering them about 6-8 months back.

    Thank you, I appreciate any leads.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Nov 29, 2014 at 06:21 AM.

  2. #2
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    7,683
    Can't help your search, but I think it's highly unlikely that the 'pick and pluck' foam would mark polished steel. It's appearance might put you in mind of something abrasive, but it's really not.

  3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
  4. #3
    Member wschofield3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Can't help your search, but I think it's highly unlikely that the 'pick and pluck' foam would mark polished steel. It's appearance might put you in mind of something abrasive, but it's really not.
    Thanks. I've not seen the "pick and pluck", however, have read some comments and concerns about the potential abrasiveness.

  5. #4
    KEĜJNF Spooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    986
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Thanks. I've not seen the "pick and pluck", however, have read some comments and concerns about the potential abrasiveness.
    That's odd. I've used "Pick and Pluck" for highly polished knives. Never had an issue. I sincerely doubt it would mar the surface of even the most polished metal.

  6. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
  7. #5
    Member wschofield3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    That's odd. I've used "Pick and Pluck" for highly polished knives. Never had an issue. I sincerely doubt it would mar the surface of even the most polished metal.
    That seems to be the consensus, however, I'm a stickler with keeping scratches off of my watches and just want to be "on the safe side". Probably only in my head after reading a few concerns, but I'm weird like that.

  8. #6
    KEĜJNF Spooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    986
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    That seems to be the consensus, however, I'm a stickler with keeping scratches off of my watches and just want to be "on the safe side". Probably only in my head after reading a few concerns, but I'm weird like that.
    Fair enough. But I suspect once you have some you'll quickly be ok with it. If memory serves it's not too expensive? Haven't bought some in years. I use it to keep pre 2003 schrade knives (the good ones) safe.

  9. #7
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    7,683
    Easy to forget, for watch coddlers, that steel is hard...

  10. #8
    Bone Collector Bwana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Deep in the Timber
    Posts
    1,816
    Pick n pluck is soft as a baby's bottom.

  11. #9
    The key to anything touching a watch from foam to a polishing cloth is keeping them free of dirt, the softest surface in the world quickly becomes sandpaper when dirt is added.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us