Likes Likes:  370
Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The HiFi and Home Theater thread...what gear are you listening to?

Hooked up the Zensati balanced cables tonight and will give them some time to settle in, but preliminary report....I can tell they are going to be very good.

There is a lot of naysayers relative to "cable burn in" out there, never mind that "all cables sound the same". I have heard burn in numerous times, it is real.

The aforementioned Alex Gibson, who was described as the "grandfather of cable design" by George Cardas, and was also a metallurgist once told me that passing a signal through any conductor was like "starting as a stream and then, carving out a river". Basically, when a signal passes, he said that signal would pass through the most conductive molecules (actually, large crystalline networks of chemically bonded atoms or ions), first, then, as more signal passed, more, less conductive aspects would become involved, creating a wider path...hence, the river.

It makes perfect sense to me, and since I can easily hear cables get better over time, I'm not one of those people that dismisses the notion.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jul 14, 2019 at 05:07 AM.

2. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Love my Dual...it's one of the better grade ones, the 601 (belt driven, heavyish platter, 12 inch tone arm)... but I look forward to getting my Lenco when I go up to NY next... and also restoring my Empire that I have the DL103 and SUT for.
    Not sure which Empire you have, but I have a close friend that has a 598 III with the Denon 103, and he said it's magic.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Not sure which Empire you have, but I have a close friend that has a 598 III with the Denon 103, and he said it's magic.

It's the 398...non suspended plinth. A solid deck though...if I take the belt off and spin the platter, it will spin for days (That's an exaggeration, but you get my point). In hear that Empire and the 103 are a great combo, I look forward to it.

5. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    This is a very interesting and informative thread to read through but let me ask you guys. With what is available today in the mass market what items or components would you put together for home movie/TV watching/music listening? Let's say a $5000 cap. An A/V unit, center channel and fronts and rears and a sub, etc? Only sound components, not the TV.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; Jul 14, 2019 at 02:57 PM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    No advice possible from me, I’m afraid. I’ve always wanted a TV to be a thing that sits on its own in a corner. For whatever reason, I’m not critical of sound when it comes with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    This is a very interesting and informative thread to read through but let me ask you guys. With what is available today in the mass market what items or components would you put together for home movie/TV watching/music listening? Let's say a $5000 cap. An A/V unit, center channel and fronts and rears and a sub, etc? Only sound components, not the TV.
    Would it be located in a dedicated listening room or living room/lounge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV room, living room, family room, not a true theater room.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

So many variables at play, it's tough making recommendations without asking many questions. Would you be willing to have a phone chat and I'd be happy to make recommendations based on your input?

PM me if so with your # and best time to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    It's the 398...non suspended plinth. A solid deck though...if I take the belt off and spin the platter, it will spin for days (That's an exaggeration, but you get my point). In hear that Empire and the 103 are a great combo, I look forward to it.
    Fairly low compliance cartridge, meet a medium to high mass arm...a marriage made in Heaven.

13. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Personally for myself living in an apartment with pesky neighbours i couldn't go for a full on atmos system, but for looks, barely no cables, networking features and ease of use i would go with my sonos beam, then add 2 play 1's (rears) and the matching sub, total cost £1400, then add in a few more extra play 1's or play 5's for a multi room set up.

No neighbours, Denon AVR-X4500H amp and Monitor audio Silver 200 AV12 total cost approx £4000