Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding gift to remember

Wedding gift to remember

Went to a lovely wedding at a really exclusive Hotel last night. I was a partnering my girlfriend and didn't know any one there. My girlfriend let it slip that I was a watch lover to a guy we were chatting to who had a lovely 45mm Omego PO on. He then prompted the groom over and he told me that the Brides father took him aside before the wedding and gave him a new Rolex GMT the same as this.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  60.2 KB

The groom then told me he doesn't even wear a watch and the most he'd ever spent was $80 on one. After picking my jaw up off the ground, the groom told me that this watch doesn't have a battery and you never need to service it. I just said nothing as I'm sure he didn't need my advice on watches only 15 minutes after he got married and was running around for photos. It got me thinking about two things.

1/ How many people get the watches that some of us crave and really have no idea what the actually have?
    2/ When is it going to be my turn to get a gift like that?
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Blog Entries
    I find as a group that Rolex owners know either a lot or absolutely nothing about watches. I hope your day comes soon. I've never owned a Rolex.

1) Probably, an astonishing quantity!
    2) Choose the most horrible, the ugliest bride you can find. His father will certainly be "forced" to give you, at least, a nice Patek

Disclamer about the second question: truth be told, I'm strongly against my own advice

4. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    I find as a group that Rolex owners know either a lot or absolutely nothing about watches. I hope your day comes soon. I've never owned a Rolex.
    Hope I may be included in the first subgroup!
    Last edited by CFR; Dec 1, 2014 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    1) Probably, an astonishing quantity!
    2) Choose the most horrible, the ugliest bride you can find. His father will certainly be "forced" to give you, at least, a nice Patek

Disclamer about the second question: truth be told, I'm strongly against my own advice
    I can happily tell you that this bride was beautiful!
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Oh, no! And there goes my - scientifically unsupported - theory...

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Oh, no! And there goes my - scientifically unsupported - theory...
    haha this guy got the girl and the Rolex……good luck to him
    Regards Cam

Watches

Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    haha this guy got the girl and the Rolex……good luck to him
    Yeap, some people have it all... Hélas...

Lucky him.
    Love that watch but it seats oddly on my wrist.

The good news is that the qualities of a Rolex aren't hidden from someone without watchylearning: it looks good and its robust qualities will be apparent every day of its long life. You don't need a drawerful of ageing manuals losing 30 seconds a day to be appreciative of an auto that scarcely needs correcting once a week

On top of that comes the benefit of the strength of the brand's reputation: the guy didn't know a thing about watches, but still knew he had been given An Important Present.