Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: snowball-effect?

  1. #1
    ( Inca Bloc ) I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,298

    snowball-effect?

    It's nice to see that the number of members have almost doubled over the past 2 day's.
    keep up the good work IWL!
    Kind regards,
    I-B
    Last edited by I-B; Dec 1, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

  2. #2
    Thanks. It's pretty satisfying.

    I don't know whether it's just the fact that we are new or whether there really is something clicking in feel of the place. Clearly, most of it is down to the atmosphere created by those coming here from somewhere else and feeling that there is an opportunity to build something communal.

    This might be a good opportunity to address a criticism that keeps coming up regarding the way this place was started. It seems that some people feel we should have been more "honest" in our reasons for leaving our old positions. Apparently, we should have said "We've seen the future and we're getting out to start another forum".

    But, apart from asking how long such a resignation post would have been allowed to stand by the new management, what would have been the effect? This isn't supposed to be a mutiny. We wanted to keep things amicable between the two sites and not post "follow us" signs all over the place.
    Most of us are still there as members and had no desire for a war.

    It's been a bit of a diplomatic tightrope but we feel that we've done the best we can.

    And I'll add to that the fact that al of the reasons we gave WERE perfectly true.

    Anyway, things seem to be going well and it's truly gratifying to see a stream of new members finding us and joining in. We realised at the beginning that all we'd be able to do was make the platform we wanted and hope that people would find us and do the rest. Not a particularly sophisticated strategy but it seems to be working thanks to you lot.
    Last edited by GaryF; Dec 1, 2014 at 07:55 AM.

  3. #3
    I'm generally tickled by the idea that after giving oodles of time and effort for free you had somehow created obligations for yourselves

    Congratulations on identifying the right moment for going alone, on having the guts to do, on doing it so competently and on setting in place a tone and an environment in which healthy, happy growth seems natural.

    It's good to see, too, that in amongst the logistics of setting the forum up, and attending to the new arrivals you are all getting nicely involved in the actual watchy chat. That will keep that communal vibe strong, I'm sure.

  4. Likes GaryF, jsw41 liked this post
  5. #4
    ( Inca Bloc ) I-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

    It's good to see, too, that in amongst the logistics of setting the forum up, and attending to the new arrivals you are all getting nicely involved in the actual watchy chat. That will keep that communal vibe strong, I'm sure.
    so no more pork pie's?????

  6. #5
    Scam Hunter Broker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    2,478
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Thanks. It's pretty satisfying.

    I don't know whether it's just the fact that we are new or whether there really is something clicking in feel of the place. Clearly, most of it is down to the atmosphere created by those coming here from somewhere else and feeling that there is an opportunity to build something communal.

    This might be a good opportunity to address a criticism that keeps coming up regarding the way this place was started. It seems that some people feel we should have been more "honest" in our reasons for leaving our old positions. Apparently, we should have said "We've seen the future and we're getting out to start another forum".

    But, apart from asking how long such a resignation post would have been allowed to stand by the new management, what would have been the effect? This isn't supposed to be a mutiny. We wanted to keep things amicable between the two sites and not post "follow us" signs all over the place.
    Most of us are still there as members and had no desire for a war.

    It's been a bit of a diplomatic tightrope but we feel that we've done the best we can.

    And I'll add to that the fact that al of the reasons we gave WERE perfectly true.

    Anyway, things seem to be going well and it's truly gratifying to see a stream of new members finding us and joining in. We realised at the beginning that all we'd be able to do was make the platform we wanted and hope that people would find us and do the rest. Not a particularly sophisticated strategy but it seems to be working thanks to you lot.
    I want to piggy back on Gary's comment. We do have more time now to do other things because there is an entire team working together instead of us being responsible for one forum. And it's been said we did it for money. This venture is fully funded by us. It's cost us money to set it up and run. And that's perfectly fine with us. We can't control what people think but we can certainly relay what we were thinking when we started. And money wasn't even on the list of reasons.

  7. Likes I-B liked this post
  8. #6
    Old but Crafty RayMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    1,865
    Blog Entries
    4
    I'd just like to add that I came under some criticism at the other place for lying about my reasons for leaving then turning up here.

    • When I resigned (and I was the first) the thought process for IWL had not even started.
    • I said I wanted to enjoy retirement more. Being here has allowed me to post and enjoy the conversations without the aggravation of dealing with hundreds of members and their issues. Isn't that enjoying things?


    Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

  9. #7
    The "doing it for money" thing makes me chuckle. If our goal was to spend the next ten years building another WUS so that we could sell it, then split the proceeds between however many of us there are, I don't know how much I'd have but I'm certain it would be a hell of a lot less than I could earn from using those man hours on my job.
    Our motivation is the same as that of everyone who has turned up here to contribute. Have some fun. Recreate something that we feel we've lost. Get loads of free watches from high end brands (that is still on, isn't it Todd?).


    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post
    I want to piggy back on Gary's comment. We do have more time now to do other things because there is an entire team working together instead of us being responsible for one forum. And it's been said we did it for money. This venture is fully funded by us. It's cost us money to set it up and run. And that's perfectly fine with us. We can't control what people think but we can certainly relay what we were thinking when we started. And money wasn't even on the list of reasons.

  10. Likes Der Amf, Seriously, Chronopolitano, MarkO liked this post
  11. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm generally tickled by the idea that after giving oodles of time and effort for free you had somehow created obligations for yourselves
    Yeah, there have been a few surreal displays of entitlement during this process from members and others.

  12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
  13. #9

  14. #10
    b& m8 CanadianStraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    between the lugs
    Posts
    1,368
    I'm finding a lot of the comments 'over there' on this topic to be laughable, and at times childish. I guess I didn't realize they had entitlement to a monopoly on Web traffic loosely related to watches and whatnot. Personally, I don't see why we can't all just get along, but I guess I'm naive.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

  15. Likes Seriously liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us