Likes Likes:  341
Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960

Thread: Camera/Photography 'stuff'

Finally time to upgrade...Thinking a little more seriously about switching from Canon (my ancient 5D MkII) to Nikon...but I really can't decide between the D850 and the newer mirrorless Z7... all sorts of factors, but ultimately I don't prefer an EVF (although I can see some advantages)... but the Z7 is smaller and lighter, and arguably has better native lenses (if limited at the moment) and in body stabilization.

Tried and true 850 vs 1st gen mirrorless... hmmm.

Edit: just put in an order for a rental of the Z7 and the 14-30 lens with a polarizing filter (with card reader and QXD card)... try before I buy...

although, I have been watching a gray market dealer on the 850 on Ebay, and they just dropped the price again... essentially a brand new 850 for under $2200 seems very attractive vs the $3k price of the Z7 (which is the same price of the 850 with a USA Nikon warranty)
    Last edited by gnuyork; Jul 16, 2019 at 09:02 AM.

2. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Finally time to upgrade...Thinking a little more seriously about switching from Canon (my ancient 5D MkII) to Nikon...but I really can't decide between the D850 and the newer mirrorless Z7... all sorts of factors, but ultimately I don't prefer an EVF (although I can see some advantages)... but the Z7 is smaller and lighter, and arguably has better native lenses (if limited at the moment) and in body stabilization.

Tried and true 850 vs 1st gen mirrorless... hmmm.

Edit: just put in an order for a rental of the Z7 and the 14-30 lens with a polarizing filter (with card reader and QXD card)... try before I buy...

although, I have been watching a gray market dealer on the 850 on Ebay, and they just dropped the price again... essentially a brand new 850 for under $2200 seems very attractive vs the $3k price of the Z7 (which is the same price of the 850 with a USA Nikon warranty)
    I'd go with the T&T .... you've got a better choice of lenses going back decades, I know you can buy an adaptor for the Z7 but it's a fair chunk of dosh on top.

I've got the D810 , which is a superb camera, I think you can still get it - all you miss out on is the tilting screen and 36Mpixel vs 46MPixel.

2.1K is what I got my D810 at via grey market 2 years ago with a kit 24-120/F4 lens
    Last edited by Seriously; Jul 16, 2019 at 09:28 AM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Cream Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...871#post447871

4. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Cream Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...871#post447871

6. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

Interesting... I have read the native z mount lenses are slightly sharper than f mount lenses, so If I go the Z7 route, I'd likely stick with Z mount lenses and knowing myself have very few lenses anyway. I like primes mainly, but the 14-30 peaks my interest. The problem is... a 50 1.8 in z mount is quite a bit more expensive than the f mount...

Regarding the FTZ mount...cost wise it's a non issue...B&H had the Z7 body and also the Z7 bundled with the FTZ adapter for the same price...it'd be foolish not to take advantage of that if I went mirrorless...even if I would mainly have Z mount lenses... one downside (possibly) is the lens profiles are baked in, even in RAW if you use Lightroom to process... no bueno...but ultimately I'd dial that in anyway, but I want the control, or the option to not use it...corner to corner the 14-30 is sharper on the edges than the f mount 14-24... not sure how much of that is the baked in profile, or simply the new lens design...

But... I still feel like the mirrorless is toyish and too much tech and the DSLR is more PRO.... My main goal is for landscape photography with sharp, high resolution (street and travel photos are secondary)... and the main draw (if not my only draw) is the smaller and lighter form factor... if it is indeed sharper overall with native lenses that's a bonus too...but I do wonder how the 14-30 compares to the F mount Zeiss lenses that I can use on the 850... as well as the Sigma Art primes that I read very good things about. My guess is not as favorably.

I canceled my rental....because it's quite a chunk of change even for the rental, that could all go towards the already nice savings on a gray D850...I think in the end I already know what I want...

But there is a part of me that says the hell wth it, and focus on using my 4x5 camera for landscape and put the money into film and developing and drum scanning. I have a pretty nice 4x5 setup that I have used very sparingly since I got it... always meaning to use it, but always putting it off. It's still a bit of a challenge, which I like... I just hate not having instant results like digi (not in the field as much as I like being able to go home and work in LR right away and post on IG etc)... but when I nail a 4x5 transparency image (say on fugi velvia)...WOW!!
    Last edited by gnuyork; Jul 16, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

Tampa, Florida and Daytona Beach, Florida

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

The problem is... a 50 1.8 in z mount is quite a bit more expensive than the f mount...
    naturellement

F mount has had decades to stabilise prices, z mount is the new kid on the block, you’re bound to pay a premium for this
    Watches for SALE:

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Oh my... back to the drawing board

Looks like i have some reading to do

11. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    naturellement

F mount has had decades to stabilise prices, z mount is the new kid on the block, you’re bound to pay a premium for this
    Well yes, but usually a 50 1.8 in any brand is usually the least expensive lens and reasonably priced at that (other than crap kit lenses)... Even my Leica Summicron was very reasonable compared to the 21/35/75/ offerings...although it makes anything else look inexpensive...

13. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Well yes, but usually a 50 1.8 in any brand is usually the least expensive lens and reasonably priced at that (other than crap kit lenses)... Even my Leica Summicron was very reasonable compared to the 21/35/75/ offerings...although it makes anything else look inexpensive...
    They’re clearly making hay whilst the sun shines.

Why would you deliberately undercharge for something so new on the market, unless it was one of the kit lenses it might come with.
    They need to recoup their R&D on this jump into mirrorless.

I think in five years it might be a different proposition - if it gains traction and a customer base over those years.
    Watches for SALE:

[QUOTE=Seriously;464497]You'll never do the moon in auto

?

IMG_0099.jpgIMG_0141.jpg

16. Likes Seriously liked this post