Likes Likes:  101
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A year of German watches

That model is quite attractive. The subtle sunburst dial would probably be nice in real life. As can be seen in my selections above and in the watches I own, black dials usually don't grab my attention. Part of that is likely due to the flat portrayal in photographs.

2. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    That model is quite attractive. The subtle sunburst dial would probably be nice in real life. As can be seen in my selections above and in the watches I own, black dials usually don't grab my attention. Part of that is likely due to the flat portrayal in photographs.
    Yes, a nice grainy sunburst:

To me, those little sporty style touches work better on the black dial than the silver.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 25, 2016 at 04:55 PM.

4. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

To me, those little sporty style touches work better on the black dial than the silver.
    Agreed. I like that they kept it a deep black with the sunburst rather than venturing into shades of gray.

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post

I went back to see if the diver also had a bit of a sunburst pattern since the stock photos aren't the best at showing those details. Steppy's photos confirm that it is a gloss dial on the diver. The glossy dial does match the glossy bezel well.

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Now that I've shown what I once and currently own, the fun part is now figuring out what's next. There are a few brands I'd like to own and I like the brands I own enough that I would always consider another. The Helberg will actually be on its way out soon due to its size, or more specifically, its top-heaviness and height. The Muhle nicely fills the role of absurdly over-qualified diver, so I will probably stay away from another pure divers watch.

Some brands on the shortlist include Nivrel, Damasko, Union Glashutte, and something from the Ickler family. I have some watches in mind for each of those brands, which I will post in the coming days. I am in no rush to acquire anything new, but I would like to plan any acquisitions this year carefully rather than my typical see it/like it/buy it approach. It will be interesting to see how that works for me.

Since I still have the website open, here are a few Union Glashutte watches that caught my eye. I don't know much about Union Glashutte, but they do make some interesting watches.

Here are my top three in no particular order.

The Viro Date (this reminds me of the Wempe Sport Automatic)

The Noramis Date (something about the black nickel markers and hands that I find particularly attractive)

The Noramis Big Date (similar to the Date model above, but with an intriguing combination of black markers and blued hands plus a railroad track chapter ring) - thanks to Laurent for pointing this model out above as I would normally skip over anything with Big Date in the name

11. Likes birdynamnam liked this post
    The last one with blue hands and big date would be my choice.

13. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post

thanks to Laurent for pointing this model out above as I would normally skip over anything with Big Date in the name

My pleasure Brian.

Union Glashutte is an underrated brand here in France.
    the global policy of the brand is not very clear in the Swatch Group.
    But some of their models are pure beauty imho
    If I had the money ,this one would be in my top 3:
    classic dial with un un usual complication
    "chirp, chirp"

15. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    I've got so used to the GO position of the Big Date that seeing one at the regular inland-of-3-o'clock seems funny to me at first. I've not yet looked up the sizes but Union G watches always look big to me - the white dials in particular seem stretch out, and so the big date feels like a big interruption so a big space.

What am I getting at? Heaven knows. At any rate in black it seems to have a very different feel.

I'm annoyed I couldn't find a better photo than this one - UG dark dials tend to have very delicious sunburst textures. Maybe that's my thing with it - when I see a radiant UG dial, I don't want it interrupted by anything, not even a GO-style big date

Edit Done a bit more googling - both the Big Date and the datefree one are 40mm.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 26, 2016 at 08:41 AM.

17. Likes birdynamnam, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've got so used to the GO position of the Big Date that seeing one at the regular inland-of-3-o'clock seems funny to me at first. I've not yet looked up the sizes but Union G watches always look big to me - the white dials in particular seem stretch out, and so the big date feels like a big interruption so a big space.

I'm annoyed I couldn't find a better photo than this one - UG dark dials tend to have very delicious sunburst textures. Maybe that's my thing with it - when I see a radiant UG dial, I don't want it interrupted by anything, not even a GO-style big date.
    For some reason, the larger amount int of space taken up by the big date seems more harmonious than the opening for the small date. The small date seems more like an intrusion on the dial whereas the big date is a more integrated design feature. Part of this has to do with your second comment.

The big date, as far as I can tell based on what little more formation I could find, does not have the same sunburst pattern as the small date. The dial, with the railroad tracks, more closely resembles the enameled dials of the chronometers that it takes its design cues from. I am generally not a fan of date windows on sunburst dials (or other patterned dials) when it breaks up the pattern.