Likes Likes:  320
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I just came across this and I'm drooling...the 2016 thread

I just came across this and I'm drooling...the 2016 thread

The old thread was getting pretty big...

Some of you may remember that I liked the looks of the purple dialed Rolex, but the old model wore too small on me, and the new one has those weird red dots on it.

Stumbled across this one today--nice, manual wind 2802, less than 9mm thick, no date, 40mm (but looks like it will wear a little smaller given the bezel thickness) and would satisfy my occasional desire for a purple dial at a fraction of the cost:

Name:  Christopher Ward Malvern Purple.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  23.3 KB

Yeah, their logo is kinda large, but nothing's perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    and the new one has those weird red dots on it.
    Name:  53935639.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  90.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Name:  53935639.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  90.1 KB
    Voilą:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Likes Seriously liked this post
    There aren't many photos of the Purple dial version online, but I did find this

http://youtu.be/Hk0ZGb53n9M

I just bought the discontinued Charcoal Grey version, which actually can look a bit purple itself.

Because it's a simple design and 40mm there's plenty of open dial to fill, so the logo doesn't feel too big.

The hands and indices are not very impressive - they don't flash like a grand seiko (nor like my £24 1971 ebay Seiko) but quality of the watch is overall solid, with no low points. The dial is probably the most impressive element, the finish of the case not so sharp, without being disappointing.

The 2801 movement is nice, much more pleasant to interact with than my 2824s. I believe it has a fractionally longer PR. I stumbled on the fact that resting it crown up balances out daytime wear - since then I've been able to keep accuracy to under +2s/d.

The UK price is £400 which seems about right. I got a clearance price so my thinking isn't as sharpened by experience as it could be. CW have pretty much the best returns policy going (you've two months in which to make up your mind) so the purchase is utterly risk free.

6. Likes mlcor, JAGtime, happyscrappyheropup, germy liked this post
    Thanks, DA, that's all very helpful. I know CW has sales sometimes, I will probably keep an eye on it but not make a move for now. It would cost around $600 with shipping, which, especially given your comments about finish, etc., seems slightly overpriced to me. But if I could get a deal, I might pull the trigger.

Thanks, DA, that's all very helpful. I know CW has sales sometimes, I will probably keep an eye on it but not make a move for now. It would cost around $600 with shipping, which, especially given your comments about finish, etc., seems slightly overpriced to me. But if I could get a deal, I might pull the trigger.
    Now I think about it, in the photo I gave you can see the finish of the lugs quite clearly - the step down could be done more sharply. That's the least impressive bit.

I believe the green and purple were both LEs, so I don't know if they'll be needing to clear them at any time. When CW have occasional sales they normally knock a quarter off. Mine being clearance was a bigger saving.

My feeling is that the shade of purple they've picked is too much of a bright glossy imperial purple, and looks a bit shallow. The Red Grape used in the various sizes of the Rolex OP seems to have a lot more depth to it. Wonder if they'll persist with the red dots on the 39mm or sometime bring it in line with the 36mm that OrangeSport has?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Now I think about it, in the photo I gave you can see the finish of the lugs quite clearly - the step down could be done more sharply. That's the least impressive bit.

I believe the green and purple were both LEs, so I don't know if they'll be needing to clear them at any time. When CW have occasional sales they normally knock a quarter off. Mine being clearance was a bigger saving.

My feeling is that the shade of purple they've picked is too much of a bright glossy imperial purple, and looks a bit shallow. The Red Grape used in the various sizes of the Rolex OP seems to have a lot more depth to it. Wonder if they'll persist with the red dots on the 39mm or sometime bring it in line with the 36mm that OrangeSport has?
    Even if they do, Rolex tends to move with glacial slowness. The fact that those models showed up heavily discounted on the GM so quickly can't bode well for them, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if they do, Rolex tends to move with glacial slowness. The fact that those models showed up heavily discounted on the GM so quickly can't bode well for them, though.

Don't they offer a wider range of dials for the 36mm (eg the blue explorer-a-like)? They've left themselves space to add a couple of variants this year. But then, that wouldn't help you in your desire for a 39mm Red Grape without red dots, would it?

By the way, have you checked out the 36mm in the flesh? When I saw it I thought I was looking at the 39mm, so much presence. Mind you, I think a 40mm CW Slimline is chunky....yeah ignore that bit

11. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Don't they offer a wider range of dials for the 36mm (eg the blue explorer-a-like)? They've left themselves space to add a couple of variants this year. But then, that wouldn't help you in your desire for a 39mm Red Grape without red dots, would it?

By the way, have you checked out the 36mm in the flesh? When I saw it I thought I was looking at the 39mm, so much presence. Mind you, I think a 40mm CW Slimline is chunky....yeah ignore that bit
    Yes, I have tried on the 36mm, it looked tiny on me (7.25"). Even a 36mm dress watch looks pretty small on me, although I could get away with it for a dress watch:

13. Likes hayday, 93EXCivic, Broker liked this post
    Voilą:
    Yeah, those are weird.