Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tudor Pelagos vs Seiko SBDB009 SD Tuna

Tudor Pelagos vs Seiko SBDB009 SD Tuna

This could just as easily be posed in Japanese Watches or Rolex/Tudor, but this seems like a good place for open debate.

I have handled the Pelagos. Wow, it's light! And it's surprisingly small for a 500m diver. I suppose that's a good quality. The fit and finish is, in most cases, incredible for the money. I think it's easy to argue that it's a "perfect tool watch".

The Pelagos has the TOP 2824 with the KIF system. I think it's a solid movement, but I understand the "pedestrian" complaints.

The clasp is awesome. No question about that.

The Pelagos can fit in pretty much any situation, whether it be casual or dressy, at least for me anyway.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417475619.631229.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  79.1 KB

The SBDB009 is awesome. I've owned it and the 008. Performance is incredible and stable.

The case and shroud are Ti, like the Pelagos.

The shroud finishing is just ridiculous. I've never seen something so perfectly finished on a watch. However, it's a smudge magnet and I believe also a scratch magnet.

The movement is in-house and high-quality. It scored huge over the Pelagos' 2824 in my book.

The tuna is tall. It's not going to fit under sleeves like the Pelagos.

Both are 500m-600m and go beyond anything most would ever need.

The tuna has that urethane bezel insert, while the Pelagos has ceramic.

Both dials are incredibly legible and quite attractive.

Tuna pics I posted elsewhere:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417475867.839942.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417475892.299590.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  55.3 KB

So, what do YOU think?

2. Likes epezikpajoow liked this post
    I choose neither, each has its strong points and negatives, for me the negatives outweigh the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    I choose neither, each has its strong points and negatives, for me the negatives outweigh the positives.
    lol, alrighty then!

So, if you want a high-quality diver less than $4K, what do you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    lol, alrighty then!

So, if you want a high-quality diver less than $4K, what do you choose?
    Does it have to be new?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Likes Steppy, gnuyork liked this post
    Does it have to be new?
    Absolutely not! SMP is a great competitor.

Do you have any thoughts to share on why you prefer it?

While movement is of the upmost importance in a watch to some, when it's viewed as the end all be all to choosing one watch over the other, a great watch can be overlooked. That's not the case here as other merits have been noted, but I've seen it far too often. The Pelagos looks way classier in dial, hands, bezel, and case and I can live with a Top Grade ETA, lol. I'd choose it in this matchup without hesitation.
    Last edited by appa papa; Dec 2, 2014 at 01:32 AM.

9. Likes Rob liked this post
    It would be an easy decision for me- The Pelagos is just about everything I would ever want.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

11. Likes Rob liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Absolutely not! SMP is a great competitor.

Do you have any thoughts to share on why you prefer it?
    Better movement than the Tudor, I won't ever buy another watch with the 2824 because I've had 4 break down on me so I just can't bring myself to buy another. I also don't like the snowflake hands, I could live with them but just not a favorite. Non fully indexed bezel doesn't work for me either, important to me.

i don't like the hour hand on the seiko but could overlook it if the watch weren't so thick. An excellent watch but not wearable for me.

SMP cost a lot less and a extremely proven movement, low profile and light weight so it can be worn 24-7, it has, in my opinion, the best designed non-locking bezel and a great bracelet. I don't like the co-ax movement but if I were looking for a new watch and felt like I could trust it the new bond style SMPc would be at the top of my list.

everyone has their own criteria.

13. Likes Rob liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by appa papa View Post
    While movement is of the upmost importance in a watch to some, when it's viewed as the end all be all to choosing one watch over the other, a great watch can be overlooked. That's not the case here as other merits have been noted, but I've seen it far too often. The Pelagos looks way classier in dial, hands, bezel, and case and I can live with a Top Grade ETA, lol. I'd choose it in this matchup without hesitation.
    Is that you BoBo? No wait, it's CM, I thought for a second it was the new WUS admin hunting for people to ban
    Last edited by Lexvil; Dec 2, 2014 at 04:20 AM.

15. Likes Powboyz liked this post
    Is that you BoBo? No wait, it's CM, I thought for a second it was the new WUS admin hunting for people to ban
    Sig tie-in for sure. Kind of a stand out way to do it I guess. Makes an impression apparently.

Maybe a critical opinion won't get you lectured like a child over here. We'll see.
    Last edited by appa papa; Dec 2, 2014 at 05:37 AM.