Likes Likes:  45
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: **** lets play a game - new or vintage or franked ****

Name:  operation-desert-shield-dial-600x900.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  84.7 KB
    Original dial pic. from the works, and yes no oval B for some reason.

Crown not too sure about, Dot bezel looks odd, wrong colourway perhaps, quarter red not quarter black

Hi Dave

That top one is an obvious frank. The case and chapter ring are from a different Raketa altogether (although the Copernicus comes in a variety of cases, but not this one!)

The bottom one had me intrigued, as the numeral style and the wear on the star look pretty legit (imagining an 80s Perestroika era watch)
    I looked at Mark Gordon's collection and drew a blank.
    I haven't heard of Raketa 'de luxe'
    I googled 'Raketa de luxe red star' and got the ebay listing - and no other examples (hm)

So,
    - The movement is marked Zim 2602, and so the front of the watch should also say Pobeda or Zim.
    - The movement is nicely decorated, indicating an early example. Which doesn't match the freshness of the dial colours
    - Zim 2602 movement was made 1953 - c.2000 (Ranfft)
    - Also, Ranfft again, dial setting lever has push pin (post 1957)
    - (Ranfft) 2 crown-wheel screws (pre 1959), later only one
    - so a 1958 watch (Ranfft's movement pic has exactly the same details, which is why I was able to pick up on this)
    - Does that dial look like a 1958 watch to you?? (there are lots of gold handed Zims that would supply the hands)

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&ZIM_2602

Sorry mate. Another frank :-(
    Last edited by OhDark30; Jan 5, 2018 at 11:42 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

5. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post

as kath said bit of a cut and shunt the orange second hand is wrong the case shape is wrong and not certain they did one with that type of dial .. at one time they was hardly franked ..but now you see a lot ..with parts from many watches ..on this one reckon four different watches put together I would say

if you seriously want one give me a shout I bought one to do a thread on and ant worn it much since so mates rate if you want it
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

7. Likes OhDark30, DJW GB liked this post
    It's fascinating coming back to ebay Russian watches after a bit of a break
    I've done this a few times now - early 90s, 1999, 2012, and now after an 18 month break

Each time there are new 'vintage' designs (this time, John Paul II), and each time the 'real' watches look a bit tireder, more mashed together from the parts drawer

Polish, German and French ebays (.pl .de .fr) still have some OK stuff.

Yesterday searched:

Zegarki Zim, Raketa on .pl
    Raketa Sammeluhren (collectable watches) on .de
    Montre Zim, Pobeda on .fr

(A useful trick is to save the stuff you like, then revisit it through ebay uk, and all the buttons and prices are in English
    Enjoy!

yeah been watching the stuff I sell compared to others and if it's had work will say but some of them lie like so bad ...

the second one djw put up not so sure on as have saw star ones before not like that one but could be a re-issue of something as does not look to bad there are some promo stuff from the 80's too that are not that well know so hmmm yes that one would be a bit harder to say as sometimes it can be hard to place real ones some times too so hmmm not sure to call it out for me
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

also prices at one time if in the uk you would get higher prices when selling ..but now your lucky to get what the Russian prices .. and some time a lot lot less crying shame really does not seem to be the interest there once was and there also seems to be a glut of Russian watches on the bay keeping the prices down now
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    ..the second one djw put up not so sure on as have saw star ones before not like that one but could be a re-issue of something as does not look to bad there are some promo stuff from the 80's too that are not that well know so hmmm yes that one would be a bit harder to say as sometimes it can be hard to place real ones some times too so hmmm not sure to call it out for me
    I agree on the basis of the pic, but googling Raketa De Luxe red star got me to the listing, with this movement pic

Name:  s-l1600-1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  70.4 KB
    and looking at Ranfft it is a 1958 Zim 2602 movement (2 features dating it precisely to the year)
    so no, not really, not to match with that dial :-)

hmm yeah maybe think either the star and writing was added or maybe the writing as this was the one I had in mind when talking about starts are on dials

sharky
    rest easy good buddy