Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard

And we're open! Exciting, isn't it?

I suppose none of us know what the future holds for this site but it would be a brave person who'd bet that there aren't enough enthusiasts out there to populate, sustain and expand a site which has no reason to exist other than to provide a gathering place for those who appreciate these silly, anachronistic things on our wrists. A site run and operated by people who share that appreciation and want to create a community free of commercial pressures.

If I can call any brand "my brand", it's probably Omega. I don't like everything they've ever made and I certainly have watches made by other manufacturers that I love but Omegas take up far more spaces in my watch box than anything else. Clearly, if you are here, you must also have at least a passing interest in the brand.

So, pull up a chair and unburden yourself. Ask your questions. Post your pictures. Share your admiration, passion, joys and frustrations regarding these special little machines.

Best.

Gary
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 11, 2014 at 08:46 PM.

2. Likes solesman liked this post
    Oh.... and spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Oh.... and spread the word.
    Yes indeed welcome and tell you friends. We hope that everyone finds a welcoming place here to chat about Omega watches old and new. I have had at least one Omega in my collection since 1995. An Omega was the first birthday present I gave the woman who became my wife. It may also be the reason she married me. So Omega's are pretty special to me.

Since Gary made the welcome post I can only now make the first picture post of what has become the brand that is dominating my collection. Since I have been waiting to do this here is the newest addition to my Omega stable.

Yes you may know me as something else at other places if you recognize those hairy wrists.

Cheers,

Michael
    Last edited by Samanator; Nov 11, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

5. Likes GaryF liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Am I early? Okay, where to begin? Worked in hospitality for 22 years (I started early) before going into retail where I worked at a wristwatch boutique for eleven years. Got out of retail two years ago to return to study. With any luck, I'll be working in a library sometime next year. Similar to retail, in terms of customer/patron interaction, but I don't have to try to sell them anything.

Wristwatch-wise, I got...damn, I think it's 32 watches. Ten of them are a mix of modern and vintage Omegas (my favourite brand) and the rest of the collection includes a couple of Tudors, a few Seiko, a Tissot, a Hamilton, a SInn 103 chronograph, and a bunch of other brands. Gonna have to thin the collection down a little, one day. And, come hell or high water, I will have a Rolex Submariner 5513 added to the collection sometime soon. That's the watch that got me hooked on these things. I was an impressionable kid back in the mid-Seventies when my Dad took my brother and I to a Bond double-bill. As soon as Roger Moore cut through the ropes with the buzz-saw bezel on his watch, I was hooked. On both Bond and Submariners.
    Of course, I probably could have bought two or three Subs over the years instead of thirty-two other watches, but hey...

Other collections include fountain pens, three or four 35mm film cameras (and I'm no better a photographer than I was back in '81) and, wait for it, typewriters. Yes, you read it right. The 20th Century is alive and well in my house. And I actually use them for writing when inspiration strikes.
    Which is ideally what I'd like to do when I grow up.
    Anyway, that's me in about 20 sentences. It ain't much, but it's all true.
    All I have to do now is come up with a nifty avatar pic.

Nice set-up you got going here, folks. I commend you all on getting it up and running so quickly. And thanks for letting me know about it.
    Anyway, what's a post without a pic? Here's one, in glorious black and white.
    For atmosphere.

Thanks for reading, and cheers, all!

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

7. Likes GaryF, DM71, Scamp007 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Congrats, T, you just made our first non mod post!

Jeannie

Blog Entries
    I noticed that the posts were all made by mods. Almost wasn't going to post until somebody else did. But sometimes, you just have to dive right in.

Do I get some kind of plaque or something?

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

Quote Originally Posted by Teeritz View Post
    I noticed that the posts were all made by mods. Almost wasn't going to post until somebody else did. But sometimes, you just have to dive right in.

Do I get some kind of plaque or something?
    I'll have one for you by close of play today.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Welcome aboard, T!!!

Hey T long time no talk.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Welcome aboard, T!!!
    Thanks, Gabe. Good to see the dive watch contingent represented. Perhaps my favourite type of wristwatch. I have six dive watches, but I've never clamped my teeth to a regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Hey T long time no talk.
    Hi, BlackCat, good to see you. Now, who were you on that other forum? Seamaster 300 master Co-Axial lookin' good!

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)