Likes Likes:  169
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: **** Shiny Shiny ****

I like to use window light for soft even lighting. I have recently started experimenting with a bounced flash. The nice thing with digital, is that you can immediately see your results and make changes or corrections. The camera I use most for watch photography is a DSLR with a Live View function, so I can see things in real time on the screen. That being said, I don't use Live View often, but I do peek at my shots and make adjustments often. The last couple shots I did, I used a tripod and the Live view, so I could make adjustments to the watch while looking at the screen. It's amazing how such small tiny little movements of the watch can catch the dial or hands with the light.

That being said, my watch is not as shiny as some of the above...Not sure if that helps any, but thought I would chime in my methods.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Feb 25, 2016 at 02:34 PM.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I was just thinking it's not really the price but it is the better equipment part is right as it gives you more options say take my alba it is the basic easy of use model basically point and shoot no iso setting or any thinking like that for example distance is basically a switch close up or everything else and that is that then take the fuji sr/auto panaromia etc etc that can do wonders. but can just be as hard to do as there are so many options think in this instance it is more the setting up of the shot then the camera being use maybe ?

as we said white box's / black box's / direct lighting / indirect light that is the key to getting the best out the shot maybe the thought and effort part ..

think that's why I stick to mainly the wrist shots simple and normal easy ... I some times try for more when doing pics for threads .. but on the whole simple works for me
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Just a simple snap with my phone.
    Sun reflected in middle of dial then played slightly with B/W settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

5. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I like to use window light for soft even lighting. I have recently started experimenting with a bounced flash. The nice thing with digital, is that you can immediately see your results and make changes or corrections. The camera I use most for watch photography is a DSLR with a Live View function, so I can see things in real time on the screen. That being said, I don't use Live View often, but I do peek at my shots and make adjustments. The last couple shots I did, I used a tripod and the Live view, so I could make adjustments to the watch while looking at the screen. It's amazing how such small tiny little movements of the watch can catch the dial or hands with the light.

Not sure if that helps any, but thought I would chime in my methods.
    no it's all good it just a general watch chat on methods and the shinyness of things but yes I don't know I was more old school use to use a lot of old 35mm and 110 black and white film and an old ziess ..

so then you really had to have an eye for light and dark and shadows and the like as it was one shoot time film was expensive back then use two always double tap my shots just in case .. the thing you use to notice when developing them that you missed at the time tried to move in to a digital age put not sure how well I did
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

7. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    think in this instance it is more the setting up of the shot then the camera being use maybe ?
    Yes, I think this is the main step. Of course having decent equipment helps too, but mainly for adjustments. As long as you can control shutterspeed and aperture (and maybe use a tripod) that will go a long way to workable photos, but yes, mainly the setup is key. Wonder if CFR will chime in. His shots look well set up too.

9. Likes is that my watch, CFR liked this post
    no it's all good it just a general watch chat on methods and the shinyness of things but yes I don't know I was more old school use to use a lot of old 35mm and 110 black and white film and an old ziess ..

so then you really had to have an eye for light and dark and shadows and the like as it was one shoot time film was expensive back then use two always double tap my shots just in case .. the thing you use to notice when developing them that you missed at the time tried to move in to a digital age put not sure how well I did
    Yep, Im started out with film, digital has become a tool to make things more convenient and sometimes very practical, however, I still enjoy shooting film (even better than digital), but due to the cost and time investment, I try to reserve my film for special projects, mainly when I travel with 35mm slide film (I so miss Kodachrome) or do Landscapes with my 4x5.

11. Likes is that my watch, CFR liked this post
    There's always the "too shining" option

Name:  Longines Legend Diver 28.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  333.6 KB

or the single shiny spot sindrome

Name:  Breitling14.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  146.1 KB
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 25, 2016 at 02:52 PM.

Yep, Im started out with film, digital has become a tool to make things more convenient and sometimes very practical, however, I still enjoy shooting film (even better than digital), but due to the cost and time investment, I try to reserve my film for special projects, mainly when I travel with 35mm slide film (I so miss Kodachrome) or do Landscapes with my 4x5.
    yeah when I was in the last year of school I did a photography and video in media course then I move on to just photography use to set up my own film and then take and then developed it use to love that I was quite fair at it back in the day but when I left it was not so easy to get the same chance to do it and send it off to be developed was costly plus having the chance to go take pic's was not as often so I did not for years bother with it so only started to get back in to it with the forums and I got a whole lot a of catching up to do. got to get my eye back in I think
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Wonder if CFR will chime in. His shots look well set up too.
    always said and I'm not the only one some of the members here really put some time and thought in to there pics the photo comp threads prove it
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

always said and I'm not the only one some of the members here really put some time and thought in to there pics the photo comp threads prove it
    True, some really great photos. We have some very talented members. And some have some distinct styles. I usually can tell who's photo is who's without even looking at a name. Well, not all, but certainly Temp and CFR have distinctive styles, as well as several others here too. That's why I really enjoy the WRUW threads, so many different watches and different ways of presenting them.
    Last edited by gnuyork; Feb 25, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

17. Likes is that my watch, CFR, Strange liked this post