Likes Likes:  169
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: **** Shiny Shiny ****

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Wonder if CFR will chime in. His shots look well set up too.
    Thanks, Joe. Posted two photos, but I'm really, really busy, today. Sorry, Gentlemen.

2. Likes is that my watch, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    True, some really great photos. We have some very talented members. And some have some distinct styles. I usually can tell who's photo is who's without even looking at a name. Well, not all, but certainly Temp and CFR have distinctive styles, as well as several others here too.
    so true
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Thanks, Joe. Posted two photos, but I'm really, really busy, today. Sorry, Gentlemen.
    we can wait it will be worth it
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

5. Likes CFR, happyscrappyheropup liked this post

Same here, C - I need to get some work done, where has the morning gone?

7. Likes is that my watch, CFR liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My shiniest watch has to be my B-1. With all the different shape and direction changes and the polished surfaces, it really just sparkles in the light.

Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

I'm back - break @ work - and I've already read the thread. Seems there's not much I can add.

I take all (almost all) my photos indoors with natural light. The main source comes from a large window, large enough to give a few options. I try to avoid certain reflections, but not all of them, because that would tend to produce a well defined but flat - no depth - photo.

The light is the primary decisor; the equipement comes in second place ex aequo with a reasonable dose of patience.

I use an Olympus E-PL5 and - most of the time - an Olympus 60mm 1:2.8 Macro without filter. And a tripod, of course.

Name:  P2250003.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  315.8 KB

The sheets you can see on the floor are from different types/color of paper and a couple of plastic sheets I saved from a broken computer screen : great as diffusers and/or as mirror/reflectors. They are the primary responsables for "taming" the reflections and/or partially block some angles. The rest is just looking through the camera and be ready to repeat the procedure, when things don't get right -happens all the time.

Finally, a basic software deals with the RAW files and helps with fine framing and small adjustements; I usually bring the blacks down a point or two...and voilą!
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 25, 2016 at 04:35 PM.

10. Likes gnuyork, is that my watch, ck1109, Greg liked this post
    The light is the primary decisor; the equipement comes in second place ex aequo with a reasonable dose of patience.
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. Light and the quality of it is paramount. Equipment plays second fiddle as long as it's something that can be controlled (in my opinion). Also composition is extremely important.

An example with a very reflecting (and irritating) object:

The dial is a mess, here. Every undersirable light came to play

Name:  Omega_1938_14.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  403.5 KB

If we are not in the mood to face the challenge, better distract the viewer, giving some prominence to the strap

Name:  Omega_1938_12.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  165.4 KB

but why not face these irritant lights?! The sheets of paper come to the rescue, but with an excessive enthusiasm. Result: we almost lost the seconds hand.

Name:  Omega_1938_18a.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  379.7 KB

We give up. Let's take advantage of the light and block it abruptly (with a black opaque sheet of paper) exactly where we want

Name:  Omega_1938_21.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  167.3 KB

But we still want depth and all the hands clearly visible and the reflections under control.

Let's go: a deep breath and...ok.

Name:  Omega_1938_23.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  361.5 KB

Reflections can also be our friends, though

Name:  Rolex_GMT_P28.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  308.0 KB

unless we throw them away (papers, please!)

Name:  Rolex_GMT_P25c.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  402.8 KB

or, they are the only reason we want to take the pic. No diffusers, no sheets of paper, just moving the object until the expected result is achieved:

Name:  Rolex_Sub46.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  243.0 KB
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 25, 2016 at 05:08 PM.

these are good but what about on the wrist as this cause it's own problems one hand to start with angles you can't see etc etc ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

15. Likes CFR liked this post