Likes Likes:  112
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sot(modern)C

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Apparently, I like things that are flawed more than ones that are perfect. I thought I'd be in line for a Nomos too. I will admit that the Ahoi Atlantic has an outside chance in my collection, except I think it might be too big for me.

I can vouch that a 40mm Nomos looks bigger than other watches of the same size. (My Ludwig is 40mm, and I admit I would prefer it 38mm.) Think on the bright side, though - you save $3500. (Plus, the Ahoi lume isn't great.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    True. I do prefer a 40mm that wears small, like my Hyperchrome, or a 38mm that wears big-ish, like my Centrix and my Neinaber.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Blog Entries
    ... and my Neinaber.

Perhaps my favorite watch to see in pictures on any forum, ever...
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes Henry Krinkle, iyonk liked this post
    Nice collection of Rados Henry, & you know how I feel about that Eterna Soleure
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Thanks William.

Sometime in the early 80s Rado released a Diastar with something new. Rado figured out how to get colour to stick to tungsten and be as durable as the tc itself in 1973, but it took until the era of bicolour watches before they released a two tone Diastar. To show off what they could do they even made a special case. Rather than the traditional ovoid case they flattened the centreline of the case on the vertical axis. In keeping with the early 80s the dials of these Diastars were some of the worst Rado ever released. WAY over the top. I was mildly obsessed with these hideous oddities and found a pretty...uh...spectacular version in great shape for a very reasonable price.

P2180505 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The Diastar 62. Since I have no shame I freely admit I like this watch far more than I should. The fact that it lacks the Rado engraving on the case side dates this watch to 1982, making this it's last year as a modern piece. Off to the vintage pile it goes next year.

My birthday is coming up again.
    Mrs.K " What do you want?"
    Me: "Nothing. I'm good."
    Mrs.K: "?!"
    Me: "Ok, ok. This or this."

P9020207 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Mrs K chose the Meistersinger over the Max Bill. I quite like it and wear it a fair bit on the weekend. I have never had a problem telling time on it.

I have another good show. Maybe a Partitio. Yeah, a Partitio. Over at EoT I ask if anyone has any good ideas instead, in that same price range and non-Swiss. One of the fellows on the regular forum says "Why don't you buy my..."

P5272091 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

My love affair with RGM starts. The Model 22 Deck Watch has at least four deal killers - coin rim bezel, goofy crown, power reserve and ludicrously wide lugs for the size of the watch. And I love it. They cancel each other out. When one could get these brand new for $995 US I think they were one of the best bargains in the watch world. With the less common bead blasted case this watch is virtually indestructible.

When 2012 rolled around and Rado released their 50 Years of Diastar, I was pretty underwhelmed by it. In fact I had more than a few unflattering things to say about it. Then Frank, FSM71 here, bought one and posted pictures. I'm like, wait, it's got a flat crystal? Next time it was under $500 at Ashford I bit.

P7172425 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

It's a little gem of a watch, beautifully understated (for a Diastar).

Since Tissot introduced the Powermatic I have been interested in it. Mrs. K and I are in the mall one day and see a jeweller is clearing out their Tissot stock. I end up buying her an MoP dialled Luxury with the Powermatic movement. She won't let me leave. This follows me home.

P3281967 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The PRC 200 is a solid tool watch and really accurate.
    A few months pass. In the back of my mind a 42mm cushion cased watch may be in my future, but I fear it is too large for my stick wrists. Mrs. K and I are passing the same jeweller and they still have some Tissots. "Didn't you show me a big cushion case?" Says Mrs. K. So we go in. The salesperson remembers us, but I am honest. "I just want to try it on for size. I am not buying it." Mrs. K won't let me leave and the salesperson keeps dropping the price until I cannot say no.

P8240382 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The T-Lord needs almost immediate servicing, but once again Swatch Canada treats me great. It's just as well it got serviced under warranty as I paid so little for it that service down the road does not make economic sense.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Oct 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

10. Likes mlcor, tribe125, CFR, iyonk, Greg liked this post
    That Diastar is the model of subtlety.

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    That Diastar is the model of subtlety.
    It is really discreet. Even though it celebrates the release of the Diastar in 1962 it is much closer to what might be the very last Diastar 1, including cufflinks, dating from 1973. This is mine.

1c92984e-a715-46e1-aae3-ac257f9300bc_zpsqq0rfcls by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Diastar 1 with it's Diastar shaped cufflinks on the left, 50 Years of Diastar with it's cufflinks on the right.

14. Likes iyonk, CFR, Greg liked this post
    It is really discreet.
    I was actually referring to the two tone Diastar, the first one pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I was actually referring to the two tone Diastar, the first one pictured.
    I'd already forgotten that one by the time I got to the end of the post...

It's pretty special, isn't it?

17. Likes mlcor liked this post