Likes Likes:  28

View Poll Results: What type of collector are you?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movement Snob

1 3.45%
  • Gimme a watch with a Pedigree

0 0%
  • LUME LUME LUME!!!!!!!!!!

1 3.45%
  • History lover

3 10.34%
  • Looks-Yeah I'm shallow

24 82.76%
  • Version Control Freak

0 0%
  • One, Single Complication

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Poll!!!! What grabs you about a watch first?

A Poll!!!! What grabs you about a watch first?

One thing is sure, we all love different watches for different reasons! But generally speaking, there is usually 1 thing that will be the first major indicator that you will like a watch. So which one grabs you first?

1. I'm a movement snob- I love all those itty bits
    2. Gimme a watch with a Pedigree, my Bichon Frise insists
    3. LUME LUME LUME!!!!!!!!!!
    4. History, I love how this watche's great grandfather was the first watch to milk a cow or whatever
    5. Looks-Yeah I'm shallow, I can take it
    6. Version Control Freak- I want every one of this watch!
    7. One, Single Complication- I like my watches to do one thing...Dive GMT Chronos whatever it is that's it!

Sure all of these things are important, but what grabs your attention first? Please post example pics!
    Last edited by drickster; Nov 19, 2014 at 07:40 PM.

2. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    None of the above? I think we all fall on the spectrum there.

I often go with the best combination of aesthetics and features.

Agreed...But I'm thinking what hits you first and foremost. I'm looks first, Complication second (I love GMTs) and heritage or history next, Movement is also important but it would be a tie breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    None of the above? I think we all fall on the spectrum there.

I often go with the best combination of aesthetics and features.

Yeah, I'm shallow. A number of those matter, but if I don't like the looks then nothing will make me want the watch.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

6. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Voted for looks, yeah, I'm shallow. only because a poll like this doesn't offer additional steps considered after initial "attraction".

IMHO, one must find the watch attractive first which is why I answered the way I did, however, I then look at/examine fit, finish, size, pedigree and my perceived value, with the last of my criteria being "where does it fit in my collection / rotation". One watch does not need to meet all of the requirements to make it to the box, especially if it is off the charts in one or two of those categories.

8. Likes dbakiva liked this post
    Ya know, I actually don't think this is the case for everyone. Some folks are beyond looks, like the Sub varuient collectors. They are out there evry day looking for a minor difference, and Movement guys have posted some wierdo looking watches for a unique movement.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Voted for looks, yeah, I'm shallow. only because a poll like this doesn't offer additional steps considered after initial "attraction".

IMHO, one must find the watch attractive first which is why I answered the way I did, however, I then look at/examine fit, finish, size, pedigree and my perceived value, with the last of my criteria being "where does it fit in my collection / rotation". One watch does not need to meet all of the requirements to make it to the box, especially if it is off the charts in one or two of those categories.

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    Agreed...But I'm thinking what hits you first and foremost. I'm looks first, Complication second (I love GMTs) and heritage or history next, Movement is also important but it would be a tie breaker.
    It's a tie between complication and looks, but if it's an ugly watch with a great feature, I would probably not buy it. So, looks won out.

11. Likes drickster liked this post
    Looks for me. If it's fugly, I'm not interested regardless of pedigree, etc. (unless someone gives it to me for free, in which case I'll sell it and buy something I like).

Can't participate because; it's price first, then all of the above. I can browse, but if it's too expensive, then it is just wishful thinking.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

14. Likes M. Montaigne, mpnap liked this post
    Its price for all of us (or almost all of us)...go ahead and squash that demon and pick the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jsw41 View Post
    Can't participate because; it's price first, then all of the above. I can browse, but if it's too expensive, then it is just wishful thinking.

John