Likes Likes:  200
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in case-making.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Well this is all rather exciting
    Not being able to work full-time on this is frustrating to no end. We're both going to be doing this in-between hectic work schedules that don't exactly align.

Updates will be erratic. Next step can vary between what gets done first. Case and dial can be tested with conventional Unitas. But modelling standard plates and bridges isn't that complicated, and I have a CNC guy with a one week turnaround. We'll see...

2. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Starting with the structural components now. Reverse engineering of the Unitas to test locating holes and such. Only mods were adding a slight chamfer around the upper bridges for some CNC anglage, and a caliber 2169* number.

Name:  Screenshot_20190214-211421~01.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190214-211341~01.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  15.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190214-211218~01.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190214-211244~01.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190214-211139~01.png
Views: 123
Size:  111.8 KB

* This was picked as a reference to Bender from Futurama wanting to build his own amusement park with blackjack and hookers.

4. Likes OhDark30, Pip, geoffbot, CFR liked this post
    I approve of all this mechanical micro-engineering shenanigans
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

6. Likes Dimman liked this post
    That is an amazingly interesting project, and I love the Bender reference too! What tolerances are you working to in the manufacturing phase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Dimman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    That is an amazingly interesting project, and I love the Bender reference too! What tolerances are you working to in the manufacturing phase?

It's going to depend on the CNC guy. I'm going to be talking to him this weekend. We want to keep it as tight as possible until we identify what's important clearance and position-wise. I want to start with +/- .0005" (about +/- 0.01mm) and see how that goes, especially for hole sizing and position for the jewel locations. Screw holes are less critical, but we'll see if we get everything right at a half thou before adjusting. I'm envisioning several parts cutting sessions until we sort out what's critical and what isn't.

10. Likes Pip liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    It's going to depend on the CNC guy. I'm going to be talking to him this weekend. We want to keep it as tight as possible until we identify what's important clearance and position-wise. I want to start with +/- .0005" (about +/- 0.01mm) and see how that goes, especially for hole sizing and position for the jewel locations. Screw holes are less critical, but we'll see if we get everything right at a half thou before adjusting. I'm envisioning several parts cutting sessions until we sort out what's critical and what isn't.
    In my imagination getting the pivot and jewel holes positioned exactly right must be super critical to achieving a good amplitude.

12. Likes Dimman liked this post
    In my imagination getting the pivot and jewel holes positioned exactly right must be super critical to achieving a good amplitude.

That will be the backlash of the gear teeth. So the center to center between wheels is super important. Then to ensure they are square to each other the locations of the holes on the mainplate must be exactly matched to the corresponding holes on the upper bridges. I'm not a watchmaker so I don't know if that's something that they need to play with on assembly adjustment. For us once we get the precise center to center distance, we can screw the bridges to the mainplate, drill and install taper pins to set alignment, and drill and ream all the geartrain holes together.

It looks like the height of the engagement is set by the depth of the jewels when pressed in.

Once prototype number one is finished, I have a watchmaker that I can discuss these issues with.

14. Likes Pip liked this post

Adventures in case-making.

I need to go through the Daniels ‘Watchmaking‘ book again...

I need to go through the Daniels ‘Watchmaking‘ book again...

It's taking me multiple readings, and each time I get a little bit more out of it. But it's really not very organized in the information presentation. And some of his techniques are outdated in the sense that doing it the 'old' way is difficult just due to a lot of the stuff being inaccessible due to obsolescence, or super obscurity.

17. Likes Pip liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    It's taking me multiple readings, and each time I get a little bit more out of it. But it's really not very organized in the information presentation. And some of his techniques are outdated in the sense that doing it the 'old' way is difficult just due to a lot of the stuff being inaccessible due to obsolescence, or super obscurity.
    Glad it’s not just me that found it somewhat unorganised in places. And yes, it makes sense so I’d expect some techniques have moved in since he wrote it.

19. Likes Dimman liked this post