Likes Likes:  921
Page 93 of 125 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: The indecisive watch buyers' thread

well not sure it helps but the Hamilton I had thou different model was nice and all but not very wowing would choose the combat over it so guess it would be a smiths vote
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    I actually like both, but based on looks, I would probably go Smiths.

4. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Christmas didn't quite 'clean me out', so thinking of treating myself to something new.
    There are only 2 contenders for this bout. Just thought I'd throw my dilemma out there to see what you guys think:

This coming Tuesday (all being well) I'll have another opportunity to order one of these:

Attachment 82540

OR...

… Do I spend a little more and get one of these ?...

Attachment 82541
    (pic blagged from fellow forum member; hope he doesn't mind ?)

Both are similar to watches I already own, so it's not a case of adding something different to my (less than ordered) collection; I just want something new.

The Everest would be a direct competitor to the Zeno Explorer and the Hamilton (at 38mm) would have to square up to the Glycine Combat 7 Vintage (at 42mm).
    I say get the Hamilton. Feels more original than the Smiths. The Hamilton is a watch I’d buy and enjoy. The Smiths would feel like something I wanted, but didn’t get.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

6. Likes crownpuller, rodia77 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uchinanchu View Post
    Both really good lookers, if only one it'd be the Smiths for me . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I like the clean lines of the Smiths myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well not sure it helps but the Hamilton I had thou different model was nice and all but not very wowing would choose the combat over it so guess it would be a smiths vote
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I actually like both, but based on looks, I would probably go Smiths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I say get the Hamilton. Feels more original than the Smiths. The Hamilton is a watch I’d buy and enjoy. The Smiths would feel like something I wanted, but didn’t get.
    That's 4 - 1 in favour of the Everest so far.
    @Raza: I know what you're saying as similar thoughts have gone through my mind, but 'the real thing' is simply not achievable at this point in time.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

8. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    Make it 4-2.

@Raza: I know what you're saying as similar thoughts have gone through my mind, but 'the real thing' is simply not achievable at this point in time.
    Your comment makes sense and I actually went to the TF site to sniff around it again. But nope.
    The Hammy has a character -- perhaps not very unique, but at least its own.
    The Smiths has the looks of something that it is not.

10. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    I’m not completely sold on either.

Smiths: the lollipop on the seconds hand is too near the tip. The hour hand looks too short.

Hamilton: I had the quartz equivalent but moved it on quite quickly. The crystal was highly reflective, and that, coupled with the busy dial, meant that the watch never looked ‘relaxed’.

All the same, I’d choose the Hamilton. The Smiths hands would annoy me the most, and the Hamilton has authenticity going for it. The auto Hamilton is a better watch than the quartz version, which was a little compromised by having a date.

12. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Smith's
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

14. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    things is out the two. it would be smiths as I said but been on the fence with the smiths ever since the re-issue of the re-issue came out just like the first one. if I saw one for the right price I would have it ..the new one hmm the price increase for what was change on it seem more then needed ..but I suppose it's less to do with the changes and more to do with supply and demand which is fair enough I suppose but puts me of going for one when I like the first one more ..so depend if you notice the difference on the two designs ... and or like the changes..would you wear it ..

it my biggest reason in not going for the smiths was would it A) stand up to being used hard .. and B) would I feel comfortable doing that and don't think I would wear and enjoy encase I bump or banged it up so ..their I stay on the fence ...

now the hammy I had quartz and slightly different model ..in fairness it was of good quality for price and did all it said it would but just left me a bit cold as I said before ..now if I had gone mech would it have been the same probably not as much but maybe still a tad ...

and would you end up swapping out at some point ? the two that are similar ?

when I bought the steiny I sold several of my other drives as it did all what they did and they was not getting a look in, as when I felt a diver mood it was straight to the steiny ..

so if I was looking at it honestly neither would I buy as in different ways the ones you got are just as good and maybe slightly better in the combat .. can't say the same for the zeno as not as up on them but does look good and so ..this is no help at all really is it
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: timing out issue lost some post :(
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

16. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Blog Entries
    For me—and this is just me—the Smiths would be a reminder that I couldn’t get the Explorer. The Hamilton stands in its own as one of the most attractive field watches available. If it were 40mm, I’d gladly have one in my collection.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

18. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Make it 4-2.
    The Hammy has a character -- perhaps not very unique, but at least its own.
    Agreed. Primarily I'm attracted to the thin (<10mm) case with a complete lack of gloss; looks like it means business.... then they only give it 50M WR. Which I'm not likely to ever test, but would make me wary when going swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I’m not completely sold on either.
    Likewise; therein lies my dilemma. I like both, but at the same time they both have aspect which bother me..... not to any great extent, just niggles.
    Perhaps I should just follow my own advice: If in doubt - Don't !

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Smith's
    Straight to the point - I like that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    ..this is no help at all really is it
    Sure it is: bounce ideas around, it might make me consider things I'd not thought of. As for the knocking it around aspect: If it can't take a knock or two, it's not much use to me. I don't generally consider resale value - If I buy a watch; I know pretty much straight away if I'm going to keep it or move it on, so it won't get the chance to get damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    ...the Smiths would be a reminder that I couldn’t get the Explorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    The Smiths has the looks of something that it is not.
    You're kind of preaching to the converted. An Explorer is a target of mine, and apparently good things come to those who wait.
    I'm under no illusions, I know it's a 'pretender' (as is my Zeno) and as a result I would be (and am with the Zeno) a lot more relaxed in wearing it than I would with a Rolex.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.