Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Omega

My first Omega

I recently picked up a 1969 Omega caliber 865 Chronostop. It needed a bit of love, a new case clamp and some polywatch and it started to shine.

Still looking for the right strap for it, though.

2. Likes Samanator, Dienekes, shemp, jopex, muddy250 liked this post
    Very cool. I love those. So much period Omega DNA in the dial and that case looks to be in great shape.

Useless to me, though. I can't do anything in under a minute.

This reminds me that Omega had so many cool looking cases back then. Was the purpose of the 60 second only chronograph as a Telemeter?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Very cool. I love those. So much period Omega DNA in the dial and that case looks to be in great shape.

Thanks. I don't use the one minute timer for anything, I've just always liked the style.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    This reminds me that Omega had so many cool looking cases back then. Was the purpose of the 60 second only chronograph as a Telemeter?
    I'm not even really sure. You'd have to keep track of the minutes yourself. And when you press the pusher to stop the timer, it resets when you let go. So, you need a third hand to record the time.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I recently picked up a 1969 Omega caliber 865 Chronostop. It needed a bit of love, a new case clamp and some polywatch and it started to shine.
    Still looking for the right strap for it, though.
    Nice looking watch, and excellent clean up.

As for the strap, it looks to me like it needs one of those woven carbon fiber things. Not period appropriate, but watch appropriate (IMO).

Thanks shemp.

I've never considered a carbon fiber strap, hmmm. I've seen photos of it on mesh, which didn't look terrible. I really want to get a small-holed rally strap for it. That's the proper look.

Really like the movement picture. Looks very retro-cool!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post

Or alternatively it can be used to set your second hand to perfection from the radio while driving to work! (or at any other time you want to the second accuracy!

That wrist shot really puts the thing in context and it looks fantastic!
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3