Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you find this time of year a bit depressing?

Blog Entries

Do you find this time of year a bit depressing?

I sure do - where I live at least. If it's mild, it's gray wet and windy. If the sun shines it's usually bone chillingly cold. Travel to the US at this time of year means snow squalls around the east end of Lake Ontario.
    The birds have long since gone south, so no cheery music in the trees first thing in the morning. It doesn't get light until 7:30 and it's dark at 4:30. The Americans have their Thanksgiving holiday but we had ours over a month ago. Seems like the only thing to look forward to is starting up the snowblower.
    Maybe it's time to shop for a new watch.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

It'll soon be spring

I am ok when we finally get to the winter solstice , then it's all downhill (in a good way) from there.

Maybe it's time to shop for a new watch
    It's as good an excuse as I've ever heard

It's cold & soon to be snowing here too, I love the fall/winter...despise the summer for some reason.

I usually travel a lot. However, around this time of the year, things come to a standstill, and I pretty much stay at home from about mid November until New Year's. That means I get to spend time with my family, which I am particularly excited about this year, with our new addition.

In fact, I met my wife a week before Christmas, so the holiday season has a very special meaning to both of us. I also associate the weather with the holiday season, good food, and just general lethargy. Throughout the year, I feel that time flies by too fast, and I am too busy to stop and take a breather. Except during the holiday season.

Usually, I also use this time of the year to go on my annual ice climbing trip, but my friend with whom I have climbed for almost a decade together died this year on Mount Rainier, so I have not decided if I will go or not. Nevertheless, the snow reminds me of all the good times I've had climbing frozen waterfalls and skiing down slopes. All my other hobbies come to a standstill -- I can't sail when it's this cold, and I'm certainly not flying when the weather is this bad. And I am most definitely not taking out my motorcycle on Boston roads in the winter.

So to me, this time of the year is magical. I am thankful for many things in life, but most of all, my amazing and very supportive family. And the holidays especially provide me the opportunity to appreciate them and spend time with them, uninterrupted by life.
    Last edited by M. Montaigne; Nov 26, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

5. Likes Bwana, RayMac, Jeannie, Scamp007 liked this post
    Funny you should mention it.

When I moved back to the east coast here in the US, by the second winter I knew something was wrong. I was literally depressed and had no energy. Coming from 325 days of sunshine will do that to a person.

I had a blood test and my vitamin D was almost the level observed in a dead person. They told me I had classic SAD symptoms.

Here's what I did:

The desk light sits on my desk at work. I leave it on all day.

The alarm clock is really cool. It has sound and light that gradually increase. You can change the settings to do a lot of different combinations of timing and intensity. It really helps me transition to awake during the winter. The morning just feels warmer and more alive for me.

Good luck.

7. Likes popoki nui, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    ^^^^Ummm, no

I just drink excessively & and watch "chick flicks" and cry a lot. Spilling out those pent up emotions, is good soul food.

9. Likes Scamp007 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Rob , you've changed !

11. Likes Rob, Ryan liked this post
    Yes. Yes I do. But at least Christmas is around the corner which means time off and socially acceptable consumption of hard liquor and chocolate for breakfast.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

13. Likes Bwana, Hayseed Brown, Rob liked this post
    Blog Entries
    socially acceptable consumption of hard liquor and chocolate for breakfast.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

15. Likes Seriously, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    I was trying to work out if he meant choc for brekkie........ and then the alcohol at other times of the day .......... or both at once - for brekkie.

Mind you he is trying to bulk up